Turbo questions

starlights

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi classic se
Hello, we have a 55 plate c220 cdi. We have a problem with the turbo. The mechanic has said that the fan in the turbo has broken. He has given us 2 options, 1 to replace the turbo at a cost of £1000 (plus labour) or have the existing one sent away to be repaired. He doesn't seem keen on this (probably because the car is taking up valuable space in his garage).
I would like to search for a reconditioned one but would like to know how to find the part number. I have put the vin number into the russian site but can't find a turbo under any of the headings. Could anyone suggest how I can quickly find this part number. Or if indeed it is possible. I would like to compare charges for reconditioned turbos.
Also I'm a little worried about something the RAC man said. He said that any debris from anything broken in the turbo could go into the engine. If this has happened would there be a way of finding out before fitting new turbo?
Sorry this is so long, thanks in advance for any assistance.

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
I assume your mechanic means the compressor & not the turbine ?

usually, the turbine bits would / should pass through the exhaust ( assuming they don't make it past the egr valve ).

I have destroyed turbos in the past ( overboosting on old hot hatches ), generally, they still never break, all that happens is that the shaft gets so hot that it snaps ( bearing overspeed ).

For the compressor to shatter, it'd have to ingest something & to be fair, your car would suffer pretty bad engine damage quickly, pistons / bores / injector damage etc...

i'd say a good refurb company may charge circa' £300 for a refurb ( but again it depends on damage, housings etc ).

If you could remove / refit yourself, then you'll save a fortune. But never forget to change the oil, filters etc when doing a new turbo, as they HATE dirty oil :)

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Two types of actuator. [electronic or vacuum]the first is more expensive & will cost close to 1k new
Do the garage know why the turbo failed ??? this needs to be resolved first.
Other issues as a result of the turbo failure will need checked
Oil in the intercooler & catalytic converter
Dose the car have a DPF filter fitted
Probably a job for a good Mercedes independent. you cant just replace it & hope for the best...

The part No is best taken from the old turbo ....it's stamped on a small plate

http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/part__1_1_63R_646_963_/09_075_203_208_963

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have seen 3 cars in my workshop in the last 6 months with apparent turbo "repairs" and in every case I have put a new turbo on them. I also went and looked at a CLK270cdi at my friends Indie a few weeks ago where another garage had fitted a repaired turbo and my friend exhausted himself trying to find a "charge pressure too low fault" after testing everything with him I told him the turbo is the issue, new one was fitted and fault cured.

I would bite the bullet and get a new turbo direct from Merc. I have priced them up from ECP and GSF ion the past and they have been more expensive, so not everything from the dealer is all bad.

Top Bottom