TV question for anyone (including Malcolm)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It may well be a pickup (laser) fault but if it simply ejected on not seeing a reflection then surely it would do that if the drawer was closed with no DVD present?

I'd have thought more likely that the drive sees the disk but doesn't recognise it, hence it ejects it. If that's right then it could be the pickup, or other electronics within the drive, or possibly elsewhere in the TV.

I have had this fault on a PC and the supplier just sent me a whole new drive.

When the disc cannot be read, domestic set ups will eject,,computer set ups do not, you can put any disc in a computer draw and they never eject,,they just stop, the TOC is read on the first laser lift

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
so..if I am looking for a complete DVD 'cartidge', i.e the square kit and caboodle, can anyone point me in the right direction for a bolt in replacement at the best cost.

Make and model listed on first post. I have googled but am probably calling it the wrong thing because I am having no joy.

Many thx for all your help so far, it really is appreciated.

Rgds

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will have a look at a few scrap components in the morning, if it is a standard computer one you can see by the connectors

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
cheers Malcolm, I just dont want t buy what I think is the right thing only to find it is not and then get lumbered with bit of useless kit.

many thx as always

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My low tech cleaning suggestion was based on having small person around the house who used to stuff things in video and cd/dvd slots to "see if his biscuit would play" was one famous reply! it was amazing what I found.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My low tech cleaning suggestion was based on having small person around the house who used to stuff things in video and cd/dvd slots to "see if his biscuit would play" was one famous reply! it was amazing what I found.

I bought in a video recorder some years back that was jammed, when I opened it up the owners bunch of house and car keys had been posted in the tape slot,, I did not have any phone number for the one that brought it in.

Sad and very expensive for the owner, as they lost all their keys and nothing wrong with the video recorder

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

yes, our son tried that too. Gave up when he realized the reception was crumby ....... :(

C

C180 Chris

I had more than a couple of VCR's in with toast or orange drink poured into the front flap to "feed" them:D:D
As well as a good few that the family cat had taken to sitting on and in some cases using as a litter box!;)

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
Dvd

Hi Daeths.

The usual start sequence for cd and dvd mechs is, drawer closes, laser starts, laser tries to focus on disk (if you look at the laser you can see it moving out and in). If it finds focus, the disk motor starts. The sled that carries the laser then moves towards the centre of the disk to find the table of contents file. When it reaches the inner track, a microswitch closes to tell the logic to look for TOC.
If the laser appears to focus but the motor doesnt start, it points a faulty laser.
Sometimes the sled sticks on its track, usually a leadscrew, or the microswitch doesnt close properly. If its not dirty contacts on the switch or a sticky leadscrew, I would,nt go any further as the cost of a laser is too high. Easier to buy a cheap dvd player from Aldi etc. and connect to TV.

Peter

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
operating with the back off to see what is happening, the disc loads. It does not spin and the plastic screw mechanism which slides the laser in and out does nothing. The red laser is operating though :confused:

Really would prefer to get it working if cost effective ??#

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it cant see anything on the first lift,then no kick start, the spindle motors do fail, and they are only very cheap motors.

The fact that you can see the red beam and it lifts 3 times tell you nothing

We use a tool to measure the output gain, but even then it does not mean its OK

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
dvd

Hi Daeths,

If you can see the red laser, the next thing is focussing. the laser moves in /out (about1 to 2 mm) of its housing trying to find focus. If its hard to see with the disk in try without the disk as it still looks but doesnt find a disk. Did you try cleaning the face of the laser ?. Cotton bud with meth spirits or even just slightly damp. Careful though as the laser is suspended very lightly to allow it to move for focus.

Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Daeths,

If you can see the red laser, the next thing is focussing. the laser moves in /out (about1 to 2 mm) of its housing trying to find focus. If its hard to see with the disk in try without the disk as it still looks but doesnt find a disk. Did you try cleaning the face of the laser ?. Cotton bud with meth spirits or even just slightly damp. Careful though as the laser is suspended very lightly to allow it to move for focus.

Peter

the chances of a dirty laser on one of these is almost nil, owing to the vertical construction of the TV and the DVD player, I have never had one yet. The laser moving up and down 3 times means nothing as to whether it is working or not,,they all do, even when dead.

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
dvd

Correct Malcolm, as the laser moves trying to focus, the logic at that point hasn,t received any RF so even a faulty laser will try to focus. Daeths says he can see the red glow, which means that the laser is trying, but may be down on power so wont produce enough RF.

Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I may break up a couple of flat screen TVs with DVDs have not made up my mind yet

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ALL FIXED :D

I pusged the piece in that moves in the Screw (allowing the laser to move in and out) and it was a bit sticky. So I moved it fully up and down about a dozen times and it felt a lot smoother.

Thought I would plug it in and give it a go and lo and behold it is fully funtional !!

So my wife's cheap broken LCD was a bargain after all (I will now never hear the end of it LOL)

Thankyou to all for your advice and input..without which I would never have even taken the back off !

Thanks again

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom