TYRES: Barum Bravuris 2 Vs Avon ZV5

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Sorry to go on about this, but I've now shortlisted two different makes of (cheapish!) tyres that are probably OK for my C270 (225/50 16 W92)

I need to get them fitted in the next couple of days, as MOT is early next week...

Both costing much the same - around £80 per corner, all in...

Barum Bravuris 2

or

Avon ZV5

Any strong opinions/experiences with either? :p

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I had a nasty experience with barums in the wet many years ago, but i would exoect they have moved on since and i now think they belong to one of the major tyre cos... I would fit two barums to one axle and two avons to the other axle and then you can compare them

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have never heard of the Barum

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Youve neve heardof barums circus Malcolm.. I think barums were made in Czechoslovakia or similar , but in recent years were taken over by pirelli or someone

Where is hawk when you need him??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Youve neve heardof barums circus Malcolm.. I think barums were made in Czechoslovakia or similar , but in recent years were taken over by pirelli or someone

Where is hawk when you need him??

He is back today and posting:D

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
sort of on the money

Barums were czech, bought out by Continental. The last lot I had were made in France.
They are top quality tyres, don't be mistaken. I wouldn't put them under my wife and kids if they weren't.
Nothing wrong with Avons either. They were standard fit on my SL in 1985.

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
~I would not put them on my car and let my misses and baby use it,

I am running falkens fk452 on the road on my m3 csl,

Very underated tyre, very progressive in dry, good in wet also

As we drive all walks of cars with all walks of tyres, we get to experience lots of different tyres, some downright dangerous esp in the wet

I rate the barum poorly and the avons are worse still,

Just my twopenneth worth,

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
Barum \tyres

Sorry to go on about this, but I've now shortlisted two different makes of (cheapish!) tyres that are probably OK for my C270 (225/50 16 W92)

I need to get them fitted in the next couple of days, as MOT is early next week...

Both costing much the same - around £80 per corner, all in...

Barum Bravuris 2

or

Avon ZV5

Any strong opinions/experiences with either? :p

I have used Barum for years from my Volvo T5 to my MB and Jag.
You will not get much better and the price is great also.
Continental bought them over and it gave them a "CHEAPER " range to sell as the tyre manufacturers have some silly rules between themselves to keep the
prices inflated to the customer and this is the only way they can discount good tyres, they are all at it, but go with Barum and you will NEVER regret it.

Mike

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Guys, thanks so much for your advice. Its been very helpful and informative, and saves me buying crappy (unsafe) tyres which I later regret..

Hmmm..some conflicting advice though re: Barums etc. But point taken re Avons. Mike, - any problems with grip in the wet??

As I said, don't want to take chances.

MB tech warr, Just looked at the Falkens FK452 - they look quite good, and loads of good reports about them.. Look like the ones I will go for...Gonna have to do a few more searches and decide..

Cheers once again..

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Falkens have been the choice of

the German porsche owning fraternity for ages now, but the last time I looked they weren't that "budget".
I'm like most other humans, once I find something that does what i want, I tend to stick with it. Barums sorted out the lousy performance I was getting from Goodyears on my SL. I liked them so much, i put them on my C280 as well. and so on and so on...... until they are about to go on my latest 210, unless I can get the Falkens at a comparable price.
However, having the same brand on both 210s makes sense from a "fleet" perspective.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
How are falkens for noise?

I had nice grippy Federals but they were quite noisy. Fine for a racer like that M3 beastie but not ideal for a cruiser like my E.

Looking at the online sites, the 'cheapie' khumos I've got aren't that cheap any more. When I bought the last lot they were roughly the same price as my previous Federals. Now Khumos are £101 and Federals are £60. In fact, I can get ever lasting Michelins for another £20 a corner which makes it something of a no brainer when these 4 are worn out.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
firestone are a 'cheap' version of michelin, IIRC.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
How are falkens for noise?

I had nice grippy Federals but they were quite noisy. Fine for a racer like that M3 beastie but not ideal for a cruiser like my E.

Looking at the online sites, the 'cheapie' khumos I've got aren't that cheap any more. When I bought the last lot they were roughly the same price as my previous Federals. Now Khumos are £101 and Federals are £60. In fact, I can get ever lasting Michelins for another £20 a corner which makes it something of a no brainer when these 4 are worn out.

I have just managed to get hold of 255/35/18 95 Y for £98 per tyre of Falken452's very grippy already in wet and noise is alot less than the budgets I had originally. I like Kumhos but they are very hard compound so not for cruisers. I would say brands such as toyo/Wanli/Falkens are all softer compound which are quieter on road and have loads of grip at very reasonable price.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Guys, thanks so much for your advice. Its been very helpful and informative, and saves me buying crappy (unsafe) tyres which I later regret..

Hmmm..some conflicting advice though re: Barums etc. But point taken re Avons. Mike, - any problems with grip in the wet??

As I said, don't want to take chances.

MB tech warr, Just looked at the Falkens FK452 - they look quite good, and loads of good reports about them.. Look like the ones I will go for...Gonna have to do a few more searches and decide..

Cheers once again..
go for Falkens not only they are mid range so good for handling and noise level, they also have harder side wall which is very very good for wheel protection on those high kerbs

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
saw some linglong tyres in my size on that mytyres site. under £41!!!! my car had some of these fitted when i got it. not the best, but not bas at that price!!!!

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
You have to find a balance I guess as cheap tyres could mean too noisy and not grippy in Wet.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
I think I would not want to compromise safety (ie poor grip in wet) at the expense of cost. Having read the reviews of the Barum B2 and Avons (which are both considered mediocre), I've finally decided upon the falken FK452's..the thing that swung me was probably very good grip in the wet, with reasonable noise levels.. as for the wear - will have to wait and see..

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I like Kumhos but they are very hard compound so not for cruisers. I would say brands such as toyo/Wanli/Falkens are all softer compound which are quieter on road and have loads of grip at very reasonable price.

Just goes to show how different people have different experiences and views of seemingly the same thing.
The one thing that I really noticed when I put khumos on was the way it cruised along at motorway speeds far smoother and quieter than it ever had before.

I was mulling this over as I was out last night in torrential rain and it dawned on me that I was actually hussling the car along. Accelerating round roundabouts, throwing the car round corners faster than I should and yet never felt I was near the limits of grip, despite the roads being flooded and my tyres being over half way through their life. In fact, the grip I had was really confidence inspiring. Not bad for 'cheapies'. Just a shame that they're not so cheap any more.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom