Tyres with rim protection

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I am a big fan.

We have narrow roads here and sometimes get surprised by farm equipment (wider than their lane) & bad drivers coming around a bend even at low speeds. We also have a problem with a series of S bends in the village and people do not seem capable of staying in their own lane.

So between the other drivers (coming in the opposite direction straddling the line into my lane) and myself, I have "nudged the kerb" especially with the left rear a few times (that I know of) now and thought "damaged rim", got home checked and no damage at all.

I have Pirelli P Zeroes (not going into the good or bad of the brand here) but will certainly be looking for rim protectors when I replace them.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
I;ve had Continentals. Goodyears and Michelins all on 19" rims: the current PZeros seem to have the best "rim guard" characteristics!

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The older type Avons used to have a curb protector but i tried doing a search to find a tyre with it on without finding any. I dont know about new run flats etc .

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Never found rim protection to be very useful, we must have deep kerbs around here!

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The idea is to keep clear of the curb , but at times it happens, where you damage a wheel rim .No one to blame only yourself .So get it replaced or repaired . Or if your lucky and you do have a spare wheel ,then swap it over .This car i have is 32 years old and none of the wheel are damaged and funny thing is- most of its life it was driven by a woman.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The idea is to keep clear of the curb , .....
Wow I didn't realise that. :rolleyes: I'll try harder. Low profiles are a slightly different matter to what your car wears.

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Wont make any differance if you hit the curb at 50 mph on low profiles ,, or hit the curb at 50 mph with the old type tyres the wheels still gets buggred up. More so i would think .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I;ve had Continentals. Goodyears and Michelins all on 19" rims: the current PZeros seem to have the best "rim guard" characteristics!

My Uniroyal RS5 had massive rim protection as do the GY Eagle F1 Assy 5

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
MIchelin PS4 have a rim protector which works very well on my 19in wheels

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Wont make any differance if you hit the curb at 50 mph on low profiles ,, or hit the curb at 50 mph with the old type tyres the wheels still gets buggred up. More so i would think .
I’ve touched a kerb at ~50 mph (on a bend). Expected to get home and see a damaged rim. Nothing.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom