UHI....Bluetooth....Blackberry.....HEEELLPPP!!!

Marko47

Reaction score
Hi

Please help a newbie in need.

I have just purchased a 05 plate E270 CDi Avantgarde Estate. It's my first Mercedes and I am delighted with it. However, I cannot fathom out the whole mobile phone shenanigans.

It's definitely prewired for mobile phone use....well probably.....at least I think it is.... there's a phone symbol on the stereo screen and NO PHONE is one of the messages I get when scrolling through the steering wheel buttons. There's also a little cradle thing in the compartment under the armrest.

I think it might be bluetooth enabled too. When I search for bluetooth devices from my blackberry, it finds UHI-SN8157 and asks for a passcode. I have no idea what the passcode is - it's definitely not 0000 or 1234.

In summary, I am bamboozled. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Marko

Last edited:

psmart

Reaction score
Hi

Please help a newbie in need.

I have just purchased a 05 plate E270 CDi Avantgarde Estate. It's my first Mercedes and I am delighted with it. However, I cannot fathom out the whole mobile phone shenanigans.

It's definitely prewired for mobile phone use....well probably.....at least I think it is.... there's a phone symbol on the stereo screen and NO PHONE is one of the messages I get when scrolling through the steering wheel buttons. There's also a little cradle thing in the compartment under the armrest.

I think it might be bluetooth enabled too. When I search for bluetooth devices from my blackberry, it finds UHI-SN8157 and asks for a passcode. I have no idea what the passcode is - it's definitely not 0000 or 1234.

In summary, I am bamboozled. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Marko
On mine, you press the button on the Bluetooth adaptor (in the arm rest) and hold until the blue light starts flashing, then scan on your phone, and enter the passcode MBUSA (62872) and authorise the paired connection for automatic connection (ie. so the phone doesnt ask you all the time for authorisation).

ps) On my Bold, the system is identified as 'MB PhoneSystem', so perhaps your Bluetooth adaptor has different PassCode. If its Genuine Mercedes adapter, then they are all supposed to use MBUSA.

Last edited:

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
as psmart above, funnily enough i did this exact thing yesterday in a 07 a-class, instructions exactly the same as above.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
OP
M

Marko47

Reaction score
I suspect there's an old cradle there, not a bluetooth adapter.

OP: You need to visit http://www.comandonline.co.uk/home.php?cat=252 and look at the options.

The basic system does have bluetooth built in, but it doesn't do anything useful (or anything at all?).

I think you're right. It has blue-tooth....but it doesn't do anything. Looks like I need to get myself an MBU-2000.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My old Nokia 6310i (with COMAND APS in a late 2004 W203) pairs as UHI-SN4211. It won't do anything though.

I read somewhere the MB built in bluetooth supports headset profile - ie to communicate to a bluetooth earpiece, but I can't recall anyone ever saying that they've got it working.

OP
M

Marko47

Reaction score
post a pic of the cradle.
If itys picking up "UHI-SN8157" its finding something. No bluetooth and it wouldn't do that.

It looks exactly like this....

ML_HFP_connector_384.jpg

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
You haven't got a cradle but it is the mounting point for one, which is good news as at least you know you have a telephone installed. You need to buy a Mercedes-Benz HFP or SAP Bluetooth cradle or a Viseeo MBU 2000.

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As Amwebby. Your car has the UHI prewire installed but no cradle, so the bluetooth is the command unit as Rory says. I've never heard anyone sucessfully making use of that either. I think the official line is that its not for a phone but they decline to say what it is for. Probably a bit of unused legacy technology - built in because it was on the board anyway but never commissioned, probably beacuse MB have their own UHI bluetooth setup.

I have the same socket and have the MBU2000 plugged into mine - works fine. Bit touchy with an O2 XDA (but then it's a touchy phone!), but 100% with a sony phone. The suppliers should be able to tell you if it supports blackberry's. I suspect it will.
Not sure which of the official MB cradles will do the trick, but the dealer should be able to tell you.

Last edited:
OP
M

Marko47

Reaction score
Cheers everyone.

Seems a bit crap that despite the hard work already been done and paid for, I still need to fork out another couple of hundred quid to get it to actually do something. Oh well.....

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers everyone.

Seems a bit crap that despite the hard work already been done and paid for, I still need to fork out another couple of hundred quid to get it to actually do something. Oh well.....

Welcome to the world of Mercedes Benz extras ...:)

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The phone interface thing really is a bit of a nightmare, although to be fair the cars have to be designed a long time before they appear and the car in the OP is already 5-6 years old so keepig up with modile technology is a tall order.

I'm still using a PAYG 6310i in my car (in the UHI cradle) with my smartphone diverted to it. So I switch the smartphone to flight mode when I get in the car and calls seamlessly come through to the car.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The phone interface thing really is a bit of a nightmare, although to be fair the cars have to be designed a long time before they appear and the car in the OP is already 5-6 years old so keepig up with modile technology is a tall order.

I'm still using a PAYG 6310i in my car (in the UHI cradle) with my smartphone diverted to it. So I switch the smartphone to flight mode when I get in the car and calls seamlessly come through to the car.

But doesn't this mean that you pay for the call?
As I understood it, they pay to your phone and you pay from your smartphone to the payg.

amwebby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215
As I understood it, they pay to your phone and you pay from your smartphone to the payg.

Not if they are on the same network. All my O2 to O2 calls are free.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

That used to be the case but forwarded calls are usually included in your inclusive minutes now - at least they are with Vodafone on the tariff we're on (it's a business one). Obviously you should check for yourself if thinking of doing this.

It's also fairly neat with Voda that you can choose your voicemail box number, so both phones go to the same VM.

I generally don't initiate calls from the car so the PAYG on the car phone isn't an issue.

One snag recently was that I rushed unduly to meeting only to find the start had been put back and everyone had been sent a text, but they don't divert.

It would be a lot better to have a duplicate SIM but Voda wouldn't do that. Now I can open my Palm Treo Pro (it's an absolute nightmare to open when new) then it wouldn't be much trouble to just swap the sim over for long journeys.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom