Unhelpful error codes

toppotter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito 03
Vito 113 CDI W639, diesel, 134k miles, 2014

Recent engine warning light while on Motorway, loss of power, max speed about 65mph. Also loss of acceleration at low speeds.
My independent garage said the error code was confusing as it was a problem with the injectors but there was no problem with them. They did find a fault in the fuses and test drove it twice and the engine light stayed off.
I picked it up and felt the power was back for about 5 mins, then the engine light came back on and power reduced again. Back to the garage on Monday.
Any thoughts anyone?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Egr , exhaust back pressure sensor amongst any number of possibilities.

OP
T

toppotter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito 03
Sorry what's EGR?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Exhaust gas recirculation

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've generally found the description to the fault code quite helpful but it does depend on which code reader is used.
Codes are either generic or manufacturer specific but there's some overlap.
A generic reader may say one thing but a manufacturer specific reader will say something different.

It's quite possible your garage was using a generic reader and getting the wrong description.

What were the codes (numbers not descriptions).

OP
T

toppotter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito 03
I've generally found the description to the fault code quite helpful but it does depend on which code reader is used.
A generic reader may say one thing but a manufacturer specific reader will say something different.

It's quite possible your garage was using a generic reader and getting the wrong description.

P027246

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

I know we all say this, but it really is true.

W204 in the workshop yesterday, customers snap on diag system said
"NSF ADS damping valve open circuit"

Xentry said "NSF body acceleration sensor open circuit"

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
P0272= Cylinder 4 Contribution/Balance
Failure byte of 46 means Calibration/parameter memory failure

The injector may be working, code suggests the adaption value is implausible.

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
As LK said, codes most certainly are helpful, but you have to understand what they are telling you. The mention of a component does not mean that component is faulty. In fact there are no codes that directly indict a component.
A fault code is just one tool that can help guide in diagnosing and resolving an issue.
Unfortunately there is a misconception that a reader turns any noob into a master mechanic.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
As LK said, codes most certainly are helpful, but you have to understand what they are telling you. The mention of a component does not mean that component is faulty. In fact there are no codes that directly indict a component.
A fault code is just one tool that can help guide in diagnosing and resolving an issue.
Unfortunately there is a misconception that a reader turns any noob into a master mechanic.
Very true, especially for engine codes, they are pointers, but planting the flag needs further investigation.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom