Update on the Recall update.

A8 PMJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 350 Bluetec AMG coupe
Hi everyone,
Since I bought my 2014 E350 CDi Coupe, I took it to those nice people at GAD and had it mapped.
I then went to my local Main dealer to have a spare key programmed. This took them 90 minutes.

When I got the car back, I found a document on the seat saying they had also carried the recall and remapped my car. There had been no consultation with me and it was done without my knowledge.
I told the service manager, that they had carried out unauthorised work on my car and killed an expensive remap in the process. After giving me all the BS about it won't affect the performance in any way, I told him I had been an engineer in a previous life and he backed off.
In his defence, he told me to go back to GAD and he would pay for another remap.
This has been done and I now appear to have the extra performance back. Having said that, the car will still not change up into top gear until I am doing over 70MPH. Of course it will go into 7th gear if I use the paddles at any speed above 50 MPH, but that defeats the object of buying an automatic.
All other gearchanges happen correctly.

Has anyone any ideas, how I can cure this?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Looking at it from another direction I suppose we could lobby to have the speed limit raised to 75mph - seriously though the only option currently is to use the paddles unfortunately

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
did it go into 7th before the recall ? my old S class never went into top gear until it had reached a certain speed which I always assumed was normal for a Derv MB

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I just dont understand how benz get the right to update anything without a signed document .

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I don't think they do , if they don't own the vehicle they should consult the owner before undertaking any work

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Hi everyone,
Since I bought my 2014 E350 CDi Coupe, I took it to those nice people at GAD and had it mapped.
I then went to my local Main dealer to have a spare key programmed. This took them 90 minutes.

When I got the car back, I found a document on the seat saying they had also carried the recall and remapped my car. There had been no consultation with me and it was done without my knowledge.
I told the service manager, that they had carried out unauthorised work on my car and killed an expensive remap in the process. After giving me all the BS about it won't affect the performance in any way, I told him I had been an engineer in a previous life and he backed off.
In his defence, he told me to go back to GAD and he would pay for another remap.
This has been done and I now appear to have the extra performance back. Having said that, the car will still not change up into top gear until I am doing over 70MPH. Of course it will go into 7th gear if I use the paddles at any speed above 50 MPH, but that defeats the object of buying an automatic.
All other gearchanges happen correctly.

Has anyone any ideas, how I can cure this?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Another sad 'Emissions update' story, you can't help but wonder what the garage owner feared, to offer to pay for the reinstatement of a GAD map?
As the update is optional in the UK, and just as a matter of interest, would you have opted to accept the update if it was offered beforehand?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Same as that.as to who owns what,if legally benz own software.I still dont get where authority to open ,connect and update software on customers car comes from, without a signed authority to do so ? Check terms conditions of service.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Dealers will be paid to do the update so that’s incentive enough especially when the car is in for other work - win win as far as they are concerned - very naughty not to inform the owner prior though good job the OP didn’t get the EML illumination as well

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All comes back to who owns the software.
I've never been asked to sign any licensing agreements when purchasing a vehicle new or second hand, neither have I seen any specific clauses regarding the retention of software ownership in any sales agreements and I have a habit of reading them, so I don't understand where the belief is that the current owner doesn't own everything he/she owns within the title of?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've never been asked to sign any licensing agreements when purchasing a vehicle new or second hand, neither have I seen any specific clauses regarding the retention of software ownership in any sales agreements and I have a habit of reading them, so I don't understand where the belief is that the current owner doesn't own everything he/she owns within the title of?
It's a bit like a book.
When you buy a book you own the physical media but you don't own the contents (story or information contained within the book). The intellectual property remains with the author.
Same with music albums, artwork etc.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok.but unless dealer has something authorising the plug in.. thats got to be some kind of trespass,no ?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a bit like a book.
When you buy a book you own the physical media but you don't own the contents (story or information contained within the book). The intellectual property remains with the author.
Same with music albums, artwork etc.
Intellectual property rights are one thing, and there are laws to cover this but they don't extend to access rights to manipulate or delete at will, as AJ is alluding above, the IP rights owners would need the permission of the owner for access to the hardware for any proposed changes.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just watch out..that by leaving yr benz with dealer you are not legally accepting the right to auto update.they be crafty B .

OP
A

A8 PMJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 350 Bluetec AMG coupe
Hi all,
yes the car did go into 7th gear at any speed above 50MPH, depending on the throttle opening, before they messed with it.
I would have refused the recall software update if they had asked me. It came as a complete shock, when I found they had done it. I bought the car out of Franchise and the selling garage asked if I wanted to have the recall done, before delivery and I said no.
Surely it is wrong for a manufacturer to change a car's characteristics, so you must exceed the National speed limit to get it to naturally change into top gear. Also what happens to the fuel consumption and emissions when it is revving higher than it needs to?
Pat

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was made aware of the problems owners were having with the update back in August when MB contacted me to offer the update during a scheduled workshop visit which I declined after I discovered that while mandatory in Germany and possibly some other EU Countries, it is still optional in the UK.
All your concerns in the thread have been discussed on the numerous "Emissions Update" threads on the forum and sadly a remap appears to be the only remedy.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Hi all,
yes the car did go into 7th gear at any speed above 50MPH, depending on the throttle opening, before they messed with it.
I would have refused the recall software update if they had asked me. It came as a complete shock, when I found they had done it. I bought the car out of Franchise and the selling garage asked if I wanted to have the recall done, before delivery and I said no.
Surely it is wrong for a manufacturer to change a car's characteristics, so you must exceed the National speed limit to get it to naturally change into top gear. Also what happens to the fuel consumption and emissions when it is revving higher than it needs to?
Pat
Not noticed any difference at all on my 2011 E350CDI.
Before the SLC250d had its service it would go into 9th at about 65mph, after the service it was nearer 75mph. But after about 3 months it started to go into 9th at a lower speed. For about the last 2 months it now going into 9th at about 65mph, just as it did before the service.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not noticed any difference at all on my 2011 E350CDI.
Before the SLC250d had its service it would go into 9th at about 65mph, after the service it was nearer 75mph. But after about 3 months it started to go into 9th at a lower speed. For about the last 2 months it now going into 9th at about 65mph, just as it did before the service.
I suspect it just needs to relearn your driving style.

@A8 PMJ there is no legal requirement for a car to go into top gear at less than the legal limit. You've already said you can knock it I to top manually. Is it really such an issue?

There are bigger issues than that!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom