Used car warranty; does it include wheels flaking?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
As above really. I notice that a couple of my wheels (turbine type on 2016 CLS shooting brake) are beginning to "bloom" with the laquer getting white spots under it.
I have the MB used car warranty and I'm wondering if if it covers cosmetic problems as well as mechanical and electrical ones?
I know the best people to ask are my local dealer and I will be doing that sometime today but I like to go prepared with the extensive knowledge of the many experts here. Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You could try, although like glass I expect that it will be excluded

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Yes, I'll definitely try. It's worth the effort. I'll have to pay for one I kerbed I'm sure :eek: but that was my stupidity!

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
I had all 4 diamond cut alloys replaced under warranty on my previous W204 Premium Plus...after 2 years from new as they went milky

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Certainly worth talking to the dealer about this, diamond cut alloys look good but so prone to lacquer damage especially with the thin coat they use nowadays. My son’s E220d 20in turbine wheels are going the same way as yours, unfortunately he allowed the car wash brigade to spray the wheels with whatever acidic mix they use almost on a weeky basis until I mentioned it to him but it was a bit late by then. Looks like another job for dad lol, I’ll be touching them up this summer.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Mines the same
Going to clean them down and reseal this summer and ask the car wash only use water on the wheels from now on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
As above really. I notice that a couple of my wheels (turbine type on 2016 CLS shooting brake) are beginning to "bloom" with the laquer getting white spots under it.
I have the MB used car warranty and I'm wondering if if it covers cosmetic problems as well as mechanical and electrical ones?
I know the best people to ask are my local dealer and I will be doing that sometime today but I like to go prepared with the extensive knowledge of the many experts here. Thanks
I believe I would be inclined to review the policy document first of all and discover if either Wheels or Paint Finishes are covered specifically or ambiguously? it is my understanding that the dealership would always err on the side of MB in any ambiguous warranty claim, review the Policy Doc and be prepared for a discussion!

CumbriaJon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400d
I had diamond cut wheels on a brand new VW two years ago. Three started to get the ‘white worm’ around the centre caps.

Under their new car warranty VW replaced one but the other two they declined as there was some minor kerb damage on the rim of one and stone chips on another. Even though the kerbing and chips were nowhere near the worming and clearly not connected.

Hopefully MB are more reasonable in their application of the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Certainly worth talking to the dealer about this, diamond cut alloys look good but so prone to lacquer damage especially with the thin coat they use nowadays. My son’s E220d 20in turbine wheels are going the same way as yours, unfortunately he allowed the car wash brigade to spray the wheels with whatever acidic mix they use almost on a weeky basis until I mentioned it to him but it was a bit late by then. Looks like another job for dad lol, I’ll be touching them up this summer.
38% hypochlorite is common among the unlicensed hand washes unfortunately... brings off the brake dust... just "lacquers" the wheels at the same time... :(

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Dont ask the dealer, read the policy document, thats the framework for whats covered and not (T and C)
Dealers are having a hard time and squeezing any money they can out of customers.
So read the T and C. if its covered a nice call to dealers saying your bringing the car in to have the wheels replaced and stick the relevant passages of the T and C under their nose.

Damage to wheels will be their get out clause.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Ask but don't hold your breath! Warranties are for unexpected events. The 'boom!' - damn ! Sort of thing.
Not the ' that's getting worse' events.
I've given up on my wheels - diamond cut AMG 63's - need all 4 doing and they will be powder coated this time round!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Just to update...
No, the wheels are not covered as I suspected.
I'll have to get a refurb done in a while.
annoying because they are diamond cut on a very thin face and those bits are perfect.
mill need to talk to a refurb place to see what they can do.

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
A lot of refurb places will not guarantee their refurb work on diamond cut wheels. Might be worth checking before you have it done. I would read small print first. I have used My Alloys in Basingstoke (I don't have diamond cut wheels), but noticed a disclaimer in their T & C's.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Get them done asap.

If you leave it the repairer will need to grind more of the wheel off in order to fix. In the short-term, wipe some Waxoyle on them to prevent it getting worse.....

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just to update...
No, the wheels are not covered as I suspected.
I'll have to get a refurb done in a while.
annoying because they are diamond cut on a very thin face and those bits are perfect.
mill need to talk to a refurb place to see what they can do.
A couple of the members on here have had theirs powder coated, and the diamond-cut finish replicated by using High Power Silver to contrast with the remainder of the wheel finish. Pics looked good and was much more durable than the diamond cut.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
A couple of the members on here have had theirs powder coated, and the diamond-cut finish replicated by using High Power Silver to contrast with the remainder of the wheel finish. Pics looked good and was much more durable than the diamond cut.
Thanks. I'll wait until the summer to see what I can do myself, then after I've messed them up I'll get a refurb done :geek:

OfOrange

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Carl$$0n
If Mercedes follow the other German brands and rate customer satisfaction scores above all else with the exception of new cars registered then main dealer service and sales departments are fodder

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom