V230 Central Locking Problem

Geo2411

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 Mercedes V230 Ambiente
Hi,

I am new to this forum as I only bought my V230 on Wednesday. Anyway, its 1998 (R Reg) Ambiente. I have spent all day on a central locking problem that is sending me mad.

When I bought the car, if I used the key in the drivers door it only locked the drivers door, drivers side rear door and tailgate. If i then walked round to the front passenger door and use the key it would lock the passenger front and side door. Using the key on both front doors caused the central locking to lock, then unlock the car. You would have to use the key again and eventually it would do a lock, unlock then lock phase. Using the key fob would cause a lock and unlock action for a few presses and then it would eventually do a lock, unlock then lock phase again to lock it. However this key fob only seemed to work on the passenger front and side door. Also, when opening the front passenger door this would cause the central locking to bounce open then closed, open then close and so on, on all the doors until you shut the door.

Anyway, during the course of today, I have found 2 wires that had broken in the connection rubber from the front passenger door to the car and reconnected them. After doing this there then started a clicking from behind the dash on the drivers side. I reconnected all the connections to the central locking motor in the front passenger door because they were very badly connected (looked like someone else has had a go at it!). After rechecking the wires it appeared that someone had reconnected 2 of them wrongly. Eventually I managed to get the clicking to stop.

I have cleaned all the connections on both sliding doors but now I have to lock all the doors individually and the fuel filler cap doesn't unlock at all. If I press my key fob it only works on the passenger front door and my boot doesn't lock at all!!!!

I am pulling my hair out. Can anyone please advise me what the clicking noise was from behind my dashboard and any other advise on how to sort this problem so I can get out of my car and lock the door (either with the key or the fob) and be happy knowing its secure?

Many thanks in advance.
Geoff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not know this model but it sounds like the bouncing button problem where a spring breaks in the locking motor

justin2202

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V230 1998 2.3 petrol
Same Problem

Hi,

I am new to this forum as I only bought my V230 on Wednesday. Anyway, its 1998 (R Reg) Ambiente. I have spent all day on a central locking problem that is sending me mad.

When I bought the car, if I used the key in the drivers door it only locked the drivers door, drivers side rear door and tailgate. If i then walked round to the front passenger door and use the key it would lock the passenger front and side door. Using the key on both front doors caused the central locking to lock, then unlock the car. You would have to use the key again and eventually it would do a lock, unlock then lock phase. Using the key fob would cause a lock and unlock action for a few presses and then it would eventually do a lock, unlock then lock phase again to lock it. However this key fob only seemed to work on the passenger front and side door. Also, when opening the front passenger door this would cause the central locking to bounce open then closed, open then close and so on, on all the doors until you shut the door.

Anyway, during the course of today, I have found 2 wires that had broken in the connection rubber from the front passenger door to the car and reconnected them. After doing this there then started a clicking from behind the dash on the drivers side. I reconnected all the connections to the central locking motor in the front passenger door because they were very badly connected (looked like someone else has had a go at it!). After rechecking the wires it appeared that someone had reconnected 2 of them wrongly. Eventually I managed to get the clicking to stop.

I have cleaned all the connections on both sliding doors but now I have to lock all the doors individually and the fuel filler cap doesn't unlock at all. If I press my key fob it only works on the passenger front door and my boot doesn't lock at all!!!!

I am pulling my hair out. Can anyone please advise me what the clicking noise was from behind my dashboard and any other advise on how to sort this problem so I can get out of my car and lock the door (either with the key or the fob) and be happy knowing its secure?

Many thanks in advance.
Geoff.

Hi
Did you have any luck with this problem? Mine is doing the same clicking and someone has already had a go at the wiring in the drivers door to top it all its has now started to drain the battery.... Any advise would be much appreaciated?

OP
Geo2411

Geo2411

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still no luck!

Hi, sorry but I am still working on it. If I get it to work again I'll try and post the solution.

I had found that the connection to one of my sliding doors that reports if the door is still open had been disconnected, so I reconnected it. I know that this can cause the central locking to bounce open again but this in itself didn't cure my problem.

I have yet to check the other sliding door and will try that tomorrow. I strongly believe the main problem to be in the front passenger door as that seems to contol everything.

I'll keep you posted!`:)

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
The sliding door connections is a common problem for the central locking not working. Clean the terminals on the B post with wire wool also clean the terminals on the door with wire wool. Another item to check is the wiring at the drivers door, it has a tendency to break where it runs from the A post into the door

OP
Geo2411

Geo2411

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will check this weekend

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'll check the connections this weekend and post results.

Simon Reynolds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mk1 Vito
Will check this weekend

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'll check the connections this weekend and post results.

Hi Geo2411 - it was a while ago when you posted this - did you ever get to the bottom of the problem - I've got the same issue.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Geo2411 - it was a while ago when you posted this - did you ever get to the bottom of the problem - I've got the same issue.
He’s not been seen since Aug 2011 so I very much doubt you’ll get a reply

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom