Variable Variable Service Indicator

kevinororke

Reaction score
Hi,

When I last checked my W202 C Class it indicated that a B service was due in 3400 miles. Just checked again today and it now due in 4000 miles !!Anyone any idea why ? Only thing that has happened in between the two readings is that a week has passed, I've driven an additional 100 miles and the car got a straight MOT pass at Kwik-Fit.

Regards, Kevin

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Did you or Kwik-Fit top up the oil? As that can increase the mileage to next service on certain versions of ASSYST

OP
K

kevinororke

Reaction score
Hi Blobcat, Interesting point. Kwik-Fit didn't say they had topped up the oil nor did they charge me for any oil. However, on checking the oil level after the MOT it was higher than I expected. Kwik-Fit charge £44.95 for an MOT. Maybe this is better value than I suspected !

type49

Reaction score
Also a nice steady drive down the motorway can increase the mileage.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I've seen a litre of oil make 2500 miles difference to the service indicator!
Also a nice long run after lots of about town stuff also seems to help.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a litre of oil make 2500 miles difference to the service indicator!
Also a nice long run after lots of about town stuff also seems to help.
This is exactly why its called vairable. It really depends on your driving style.

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
But what should it show immediately after a service ??
This one puzzles me - when I bought my W203 it had just been serviced (A) and it showed 10,000 till the B service was due. I managed to stretch that to around 11,000, but at no time did the figure increase, just that the rate of decrease slowed down.
since then I've had both B & A services & each time it's come back out showing exactly 10,000 till next time - this is with Mobil 1 low ash oil (to increase service intervals sir )
At the moment, 4,000 miles or so after the last service it's showing that the next one's due in 6,500 - so I'm ahead of the game once again, but not by anything like the amount suggested in different threads here.
I queried this at the dealer & the reply was so woolly it seemed to be straight out of the "making it up as they went along" school
Is it the case that the service interval should always show 10,000 to start with or is someone having a laugh at 97 quid an hour plus VAT at my expense??

OP
K

kevinororke

Reaction score
Hi,
I suppose the answer to both Phil D's query and mine is to find out the details of the electronic formula and data inputs which calculate the service intervals. Mine's is a W202 and probably differs from Phil's W203. In fact these formulae and inputs could be revised by MB much more frequently than the mechanical design of the car.

Regards, Kevin

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I believe that the standard interval is 10,000 miles hence after a service it'll always read that.

My understanding though was that there was a sensor which detected how dirty the oil was, which is one of the factors used in determining the next service interval. Thus if your vehicle is low on oil adding more will make it appear cleaner to the sensor as the dirt is diluted.

I know that they also use factors such as engine load changes and dynamics in order to help calculate the service interval. Engine startup, hard acceleration, high revving all add stress to the engine and thus shorten the service period, especially when cold.

Long distance steady cruising at low revs (say 2000 - 2500) is the best regime for any engine.

For the figures that I'd quoted: my car had sat for a few months without really being driven and was about 2500 miles from its next service. I had just covered 900 miles of fast driving, including several hours at 120 -135mph on German autobahns, when I stopped for a rest break and refuel, topping up with a litre of oil as dictated by the oil level sensor.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Is it the case that the service interval should always show 10,000 to start with or is someone having a laugh at 97 quid an hour plus VAT at my expense??
Which engine is it?

My C270 will show 10000 miles if the oil is selected as 229.1 or 13000 miles if it's 229.3 or 229.5. The oil type is selected when the service indicator is reset. I generally only use my car on long runs and got it serviced at 18000 miles (a bit early!) and it's currently scheduled for another at 34500.

I'm guessing (as you said LA oil) that yours is a recent car in which case you can move to fixed interval servicing - annually or 15,500 miles, whichever is sooner, if that would suit you (and your pocket) better. My dealer tried to encourage me to do that, as I'm only visiting every 18mths using ASSYST, and he'd rather see me every year. I told him 'no thanks'.

Last edited:

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
hi Rory
it's a 54 plate C220cdi - I'm having the next service done by an indie - but it does sound very much to me that if they are using & charging for the top notch oil, then the service interval should have come out showing something more than 10,000 - still you live & learn
Phil

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom