Vario 814D Fuel Gauge

Vario

Reaction score
I have a motorhome on the Vario 814D base fitted with a fuel tank from the 814 7.5 ton flat front truck. I cannot get the fuel gauge to work. Should the 814 fuel tank sender be compatible with the Vario gauge? I had the same set-up on a previous 609D motorhome and it worked perfectly! Any ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have a motorhome on the Vario 814D base fitted with a fuel tank from the 814 7.5 ton flat front truck. I cannot get the fuel gauge to work. Should the 814 fuel tank sender be compatible with the Vario gauge? I had the same set-up on a previous 609D motorhome and it worked perfectly! Any ideas?

Hello and welcome, these gauges work on a grounding principle, when full the tank sensor is no resistance, by shorting the wires on the sensor on the tank the gauge should read full, if there is no movement of the gauge then the fault should be in the gauge circuit

OP
V

Vario

Reaction score
Gauge reads full when tank is filled to capacity but still reads over 3/4 full after 600km. Sender is new and gauge reads full when wires are connected together and empty when disconnected. Could problem be due to sender being incompatible with gauge??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Gauge reads full when tank is filled to capacity but still reads over 3/4 full after 600km. Sender is new and gauge reads full when wires are connected together and empty when disconnected. Could problem be due to sender being incompatible with gauge??

Yes that must be the reason, as all of the rest is ok, if it was the other way around,you could have fitted a shunt over the sender. It cant be anything else

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom