Various problems with my 300CE

Reaction score
I have a number of problems that have all developed in quick succession with my 300CE 12v (1992) after 5K miles of trouble free motoring - any ideas about the likely causes would be much appreciated:

1) Poor starting when cold (takes about 7 turns of the engine before it finally fires) - after this it starts fine. This has been the case since I had the car - haven't been that bothered but thought I'd add it to the list.

2) Misfiring under load once warm - as soon as you engage drive, it stalls the engine so I can no longer drive it!

3) Coolant loss - I have been losing about a litre every 100 miles! There is no evidence of it getting into the oil (filler cap clean) but I can't find any split hoses either.

4) Have just replaced the front discs and pads and now there is a grating noise on hard lock when cornering to the right.

Thanks,

Bruiser.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
have you done general tune up things? my 230ce was not differebntt o yours. i just had a full engine service... new roter, dist cap, ht leads, plugs, oil change, fuel treatement, had the ICV cleaned... runs like a diufferent car now, starts and idles perfect within 1 sec of turning the key

turnipsock

Reaction score
I would change the plugs as a first step.

Is the water system getting up to presure? If not change the cap.

Have you tried jacking up the front of the car and appling full lock to see if grating noise is there when you rotate the wheels. Does the noise come from one side only?

turnipsock

Reaction score
Bob.R said:
Difficult starting from cold + Misfiring + Coolant loss = head gasket?
Cooling system pressure test should reveal all.....

That adds up. A head gasket leak from the water jacket to a cylinder would cause the symptoms.

When you switch of the engine, the cooling system is still under pressure, therefore the coolant would leak into the cyclinder.

Top Bottom