Vehicle ownership question

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
A friend of mine is about to by another car for his partner to use. He was going to get it registered in her name as they have traded her car as part of the deal. Her car contributes about 25% of the transaction.

In conversation it came to light that she has some large arrears on a bank loan that she and her ex husband took out.

I advised him to get the car registered in his name as he was paying 75% of the cost.

Apparently there aren't any problems getting the car insured in her name as a major company is happy with the arrangement.

Can anyone think of any pitfalls that might ensue?

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
A friend of mine is about to by another car for his partner to use. He was going to get it registered in her name as they have traded her car as part of the deal. Her car contributes about 25% of the transaction.

In conversation it came to light that she has some large arrears on a bank loan that she and her ex husband took out.

I advised him to get the car registered in his name as he was paying 75% of the cost.

Apparently there aren't any problems getting the car insured in her name as a major company is happy with the arrangement.

Can anyone think of any pitfalls that might ensue?

how long have they been together??:lol:........agreed value incase she crashes it:shock:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
higher premiums as she isnt the owner and registered keeper possibly? and she will have to be named as the main driver/policyholder

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I think you are worried about the car being taken as part of a bank clawback in the event of them taking legal action against her...
It could happen.. so one would suggest either some finance on the vehicle or someone else owning the vehicle..
Insurance wise they do ask if the policyholder is the owner of the vehicle, so ownership has to made clear if not the policyholder..as pete has said

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
If trying to prevent the bank/bailiffs taking it away I would suggest that your friend gets a legal document together to cover the fact that he is the owner, although she is the driver.

The driver of a vehicle, indeed the registered keeper, is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle - think of lease hire, company cars and those bought on loans.

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
TBH The receipt from the garage he's buying the car from in his name will be enough as it will state that the vehicle was sold to him and will remain his property unless he then sells the car or gives it as a gift and if given as a gift it will still remain his property unless she can prove it was given to her.

Top Bottom