Very faint power steering noise.

SprinterPickup

Reaction score
I have a Merc Sprinter 311 CDI.

When you have say the radio on sligtly you cannot notice the noise.

When I steer the noise disappears, but when the steering wheel is still there is a hissing noise coming from somewhere. Can anyone suggest what this noise is and why it is happenning? It doesnt really bother me, but I dont want it to be damaging anything?

cheers

dava

Reaction score
Check the oil level in the power steering reservoir, if it's low it will be gasping air instead of fluid. Failing that more info required.

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this all afternoon. Dava's suggestion is a good one but other than that I reckon it could be drive belt related. My thinking here is that maybe a idler pulley is on its way out and when the steering is used it puts a bit more load on the belt and changes the tension? Worth looking at, Have you had the bonnet up to see if you can pin point the source?

dava

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this all afternoon. Dava's suggestion is a good one but other than that I reckon it could be drive belt related. My thinking here is that maybe a idler pulley is on its way out and when the steering is used it puts a bit more load on the belt and changes the tension? Worth looking at, Have you had the bonnet up to see if you can pin point the source?

To be honest Steve it could be something simple as a drive belt, these after time become 'polished' and give off all sorts of queer noises. A simple test for this is to spray it with WD40 on the drive belt and if the noise changes or ceases then your in the right area. We change them very regular, as they are prone to jumping off and costing you a recovery, worth doing every c service at least, mininum cost maximum save, preventions better than a cure for me. If you give me more info more than willing to help.
Regards
Ray

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom