Vito W639 115 CDi - Steering Column Electrics SAM

Alan Marburg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 Vito W639 115 CDi
Have recently had Ignition Module repaired ; Steering Lock repaired, and a used ECU re-programmed - all VIN coded.

Do not have any of the Combination Switch functions working, nor the horn. OBDII says : Fault Code B 1107 N10 [ SAM ] Fault or defect in CAN communication Also Code B 1023 in History says error in CAN communication. Have checked all fuses and connections. Have tried another Combination Switch.

Question : Where do I find the SAM ? When I find the SAM, how can I determine which wire or connector is at fault.

Additional info : Battery light is on - only been on since ECU was re-programmed - new Alternator installed, but no change. Fuel Gauge steadily fluctuates after about 10 minutes from cold start - have not checked the sensor yet.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
SAM is mounted underside of the fuse / relay carrier in the under bonnet fuse box.
The SAM will be plug and play, no coding required. As long as it is carries identical identification.

I would be surprised if an ECU can be recoded, but willing to learn different.

OP
A

Alan Marburg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 Vito W639 115 CDi
Thank you M80 for your response. I have very recently been advised that from 2006 the SAM is in the under-bonnet Fuse Box. My Vito is a 2004 model which apparently for the 2004 and 2005 models the SAM is under the passenger seat in the form of a Fuse block. I knew of the Fuse block, but did not realize that it was a SAM as well. At this stage I have not checked connections/wiring. When confirmed, will post for future reference of members.

With regards to your ECU comment, the programme in my original ECU was transferred to a replacement "used" ECU. There were a couple of problems with that and I had to return it to be re-done. At least I can now start and drive the vehicle. Just need to get back the Steering Column functions.

Thanks again

Reactions: M80

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom