vito w639 streering

George Dandoulakis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 116cdi 4x4 2012
I own 2 vitos both bought used with 100000km. One is 2011 113cdi rear wheel drive and the other is 2012 116cdi 4x4. The 4x4 has much heavier steering than the rwd one. I don't know is this is normal or if this is due to a problem, and if someone has the knowledge please replay. The sure is that the rwd turns easier and faster since the front wheels are free to bend. Although there is a big difference in the power need to turn the steering in those two vitos. In the local mercedes service(where I noticed that that know almost nothing about the 4x4 model, no experience at all!) They told me me that probably the 4x4 model has steering with no extra hydraulic assistance, but this does not say anything to me. So if someone has an opinion please state it .Is it normal or possibly it is due to a problem?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I would have thought from a driving and comfort point of view there should not be much difference in the steering of the two vans. I would be aware that the turning circle is great on the 113 compared to the 4x4. Maybe somebody thats familiar with your rack setup on the forum here might know more or the same rack might be in some of the 4wd cars or jeeps? but I haven't heard any 4wd Vitos mentioned on here

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
I think the 4x4 Vitos are pretty rare in the UK. It might be worth cross referencing a parts catalogue to see if the two vehicles use the same steering components.

Have you had the 4x4 on a wheel alignment machine, or do you have excess tyre wear? Poor alignment can lead to very heavy steering; whenever I replace steering components I am always amazed how poor the steering is after replacement because everything is a bit out of alignment, despite my best attempts to keep them aligned..I then go for a wheel alignment and its fixed!

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
4x4 versions obviously Rare as hens teeth as they say around my part of the world as no takers on here. Probably best to get power steering pump checked out first to make sure its working properly George. The 4x4 combined with the heavier engine I would expect to be slightly heavier on the steering. Is it really cumbersome(unpleasant) to turn or just slightly heavier than the 113?

OP
G

George Dandoulakis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 116cdi 4x4 2012
I think the 4x4 Vitos are pretty rare in the UK. It might be worth cross referencing a parts catalogue to see if the two vehicles use the same steering components.

Have you had the 4x4 on a wheel alignment machine, or do you have excess tyre wear? Poor alignment can lead to very heavy steering; whenever I replace steering components I am always amazed how poor the steering is after replacement because everything is a bit out of alignment, despite my best attempts to keep them aligned..I then go for a wheel alignment and its fixed!
Thanks for the replay, the tires are all same condition and the is no dragging left or right when driving straight. It seams to be aligned. Also as far as I know there is no part changed in the steering.

OP
G

George Dandoulakis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 116cdi 4x4 2012
4x4 versions obviously Rare as hens teeth as they say around my part of the world as no takers on here. Probably best to get power steering pump checked out first to make sure its working properly George. The 4x4 combined with the heavier engine I would expect to be slightly heavier on the steering. Is it really cumbersome(unpleasant) to turn or just slightly heavier than the 113?
Thanks for the reply, it is slightly heavier, to the point thought to be unpleasant to turn the steering with one hand when stopped! I will try a check in the pump as you suggest, thought I get no noise, no uneven sections on the steering and it has the same response when its correcting after turns.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Obviously you've checked tyre pressures are to spec for the van George? Are the tyres on the 4x4 Vito wider than the 113? Did you ever try an oil change on the power steering? Just thinking of the simple cheap things to do first.

OP
G

George Dandoulakis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 116cdi 4x4 2012
Obviously you've checked tyre pressures are to spec for the van George? Are the tyres on the 4x4 Vito wider than the 113? Did you ever try an oil change on the power steering? Just thinking of the simple cheap things to do first.
Thanks for reply. The wheels are the same 205.65.16 , the oil seams fine clean with no bad smell. The mercedes mechanic advised me not to charge the oil. Although he does not suggests anything else than I have found a way to excessive my arms ...

Mickyg10

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes vito W639 2006
hi I am having issues with my 2006 Vito. mornings the steering is strained but loosens up. took it to Mercedes and there answer was to replace steering column then pump then rack only £2600. any ideas?? please

BOBMAN100

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2014 brabus
hi I am having issues with my 2006 Vito. mornings the steering is strained but loosens up. took it to Mercedes and there answer was to replace steering column then pump then rack only £2600. any ideas?? please
Hi I have 2014 vito brabus and the steering is really heavy I have had all fluid lines power steering motor checked all ok .The guy who did my Mot said is probably the universal joint on steering rack needs lubricanting

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi I have 2014 vito brabus and the steering is really heavy I have had all fluid lines power steering motor checked all ok .The guy who did my Mot said is probably the universal joint on steering rack needs lubricanting
Hello and welcome,

That was an issue I had on my Landy, due in the main to deep wading. Low tyre pressure and huge wide wheels can also give heavy steering.

What is a Brabus Vito? Not seen one

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny you should mention that Bobman100, Not a Vito but my Mustang was in the garage for 3 months and when I took it out the steering was real funny and heavy. Had the feeling when turning of light, heavy then light. I knew it was ok when I parked it. I sprayed WD40 on the knuckle on the steering column for a few days and kept manipulating it and now the steering is perfect again. Vehicles not used regularly suffer from this Issue.

sturge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R230 Black Beauty, Vito Brabus Sport X. Old Merc's CLK Kompressor E230 elegance E220 co
So I see this is quite an old thread but I’m going to ask the question anyway. Did you ever get to the bottom of your power steering problem Bobman? I’ve got a BRABAS Vito too and my steering is crap. I’ve had two power steering pumps fitted and still no luck, it went into Mercs and they want 2.5k for a new rack. I was interested to read your comment re the UJ.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
I have had to lube steering uj’s on quite a few cars I have owned , Rover sd1 and the current Jeep.
Go get a small aerosol can of 3 in1 oil and spray some on the joint, put engine oil on it if you can access it easy enough to pour some on it or soak a small bit of sponge and rub / squeeze it into joints.
If you go on YouTube lots of videos with stiff steering caused by seizing joints being freed up with some oil.
Wd40 will work but will need doing again in a month or so as the Wd40 dries out

sturge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R230 Black Beauty, Vito Brabus Sport X. Old Merc's CLK Kompressor E230 elegance E220 co
Well I’m happy to give that a try, not sure if it will help or even if I can get to it. Thanks.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom