Vito with OM654 engine

LewisH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito L1
Hi,

New to the club so hello!

I was hoping that somebody may be able to help with the subject question... I've just ordered a panel van in L1. I have specified the 114 but can change this to 116 or even 119, though the cost seems a little steep considering (from my research) the lump appears to be identical. I like the look of the Brabus tuning boxes and have emailed them (awaiting response) to see whether or not the same box would have the same end result with any of the engines I've just mentioned. The info on their website seems a little vague as it is specified for the V Class. I could stretch to the 116 but over £3K for the 119 seems excessive, is there much real world difference between 114 & 116? I wouldn't be towing anything and stock would rarely be on board so under 200kgs would be norm to carry around.

I wanted to get other peoples opinions on the engines in their different powers, Brabus boxes or even remapping that they may have had done, though probably best left until the warranty expires!

Thanks

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Just get it remapped.
My W639 (OM646) is the 109CDI (95hp) that's been upped to 145hp. Far cheaper than paying Mercedes prices for the same thing.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I can only offer knowledge of a the 639 Vito, and as a comparison it wouldn't surprise me if it's similar.

There is greater power and torque from the higher numbers of model, obviously. It's the torque that's desirable.
The higher number models would get a lower ratio rear diff, so to my mind the higher ratio will compensate for the lower power / torque.

If stop start around town is the norm the higher ratio diff is an advantage, same for lugging great weights.
If cruising m'way mostly then lower ratio means lower revs while cruising, and likely better consumption.

My preference is for the lowest ratio diff and most torque available.
Remapping has been easily done, but recently we are seeing over write issues by MB, even a suggestion that they are encoding the ECU to prevent such, I really wouldn't know about that though.

I don't often carry much weight either. I found the ride on the 639 was harsh w/o load and so I'm now driving the Viano.

OP
L

LewisH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito L1
Thanks for that, hadn’t thought that the diff may alter with power/torque. Wonder if it does with the W447?

I was all set to get a Vito Crew but my accountant said not to as I could receive a large tax bill in the future!

OP
L

LewisH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito L1
So I’ve decided to sacrifice the 19” wheels for the 190bhp lump. It’ll be ready in around 8 weeks hopefully!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom