vw bora vs audi a4 (95-01)

merc230ce

Reaction score
hello all,

I am deciding which car should i buy (TDI), the bora say an X reg or a Audi a4, in terms of parts/running costs reliability etc which is the safer bet??

thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Are you sure you posted this on the right forum???

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
What the gentleman means is do I want an E Class or a C?

Personally I'd go for the E (Coz I can and have) and enjoy yourself :)

Don't touch that VAG stuff, you'll regret it :D

Chris_J

Reaction score
Bora or A4, well the A4. A Bora is just a Golf with a boot, and the A4 is PAssatt sized.

Personal choice would be A4. Servicing costs more than a VW but parts are pretty generic, however I wouldn't like to guess at which is more reliable. Audis tend to be better built.

rio678

Reaction score
Personally, they are both as good on the reliability side, but go for a Merc instead ;)

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
There is no differnce, they are both volkswagen at the end of the day. and this is a benz site. Did you expect a sensible answer?:rolleyes:

dava

Reaction score
I'll try and answer your question as I run a VW passat.
The A4 is based on the golf floor pan, so it's there or there abouts the same (Passat A6). You'll pay more for the A4 than the Bora and the parts tend to be a tad more. If you can get the 'Red I' bora, as it has the 130 BHP engine and try to get a 6 speed much better all round, you might find it hard to find a 6 speed A4 in that plt, idealy you want a PD engine, loads of torque and good fuel returns, only produced them 2000 onwards. Also Audi are more to insure as the body panels etc cost Audi prices, I personally think in that plt the interior is not as good as the VW, but it's a personal thing, the latest Audi out strips the lastest VW interior so there you go. Another thing is there are more VW about second hand than Audi as they were cheaper to buy and company car suppliers look at costs.
Hope it helps.

alexspurs61

Reaction score
I'll try and answer your question as I run a VW passat.
The A4 is based on the golf floor pan, so it's there or there abouts the same (Passat A6). You'll pay more for the A4 than the Bora and the parts tend to be a tad more. If you can get the 'Red I' bora, as it has the 130 BHP engine and try to get a 6 speed much better all round, you might find it hard to find a 6 speed A4 in that plt, idealy you want a PD engine, loads of torque and good fuel returns, only produced them 2000 onwards. Also Audi are more to insure as the body panels etc cost Audi prices, I personally think in that plt the interior is not as good as the VW, but it's a personal thing, the latest Audi out strips the lastest VW interior so there you go. Another thing is there are more VW about second hand than Audi as they were cheaper to buy and company car suppliers look at costs.
Hope it helps.

Are you sure about the floor pans?
I thought with VAG it went like this:
VW Polo=Skoda Fabia
VW Golf=A3=Skoda Octavia
VW Passat=A4=Skoda Superb

Damned right about the PDi though. Driven a couple; lovely

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I had a 98 A4 for over 4 years, it provided me with over 80,000 miles of totally reliable service at 55mpg, interrupted only by a faulty MAF, and a broken wheel bearing (I hit a kerb). I had the 1.9Tdi 110 SE model.

It was a very good car, and I'm sorry I ever got rid. I replaced it with an Audi TT that lasted 4 months before I got shut.

Don't use the dealers, they are, without fail, ripoff merchants and liars.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
What the gentleman means is do I want an E Class or a C?

Personally I'd go for the E (Coz I can and have) and enjoy yourself :)

Don't touch that VAG stuff, you'll regret it :D

I'm more than happy with my little Golf and it only cost £100 to be serviced this week :)

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Bora or A4, well the A4. A Bora is just a Golf with a boot, and the A4 is PAssatt sized.

Personal choice would be A4. Servicing costs more than a VW but parts are pretty generic, however I wouldn't like to guess at which is more reliable. Audis tend to be better built.
The Audi A4 is a Passat, only differences are the badge and some interior trim. The only good thing about VW is they managed to turn around a duff company like Skoda and actually give it a good name.;)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom