VW never say die

charlfourie

Reaction score
Website
www.anotherphotographer.co.za
Your Mercedes
1979 Mercedes Benz 250
Well it seems that Volkswagen are still giving up on the classic Golf down here. Yet another new model has been announced...

In the Citi Golf's dying days, VWSA is reviving the legendary GTS moniker for a special, "retro-styled" version. Sad, but true...

The GTS was one of the best selling models of the original Golf range.

With this in mind, VWSA has whipped up a limited edition Citi GTS with a lowered sports suspension, 15-inch alloy wheels in gunmetal grey, GTS decals along the flanks, a grille with red surrounds and double headlamps.

In the cabin, GTS is set apart with its twin sports seats up front, and black and silver trim.

Six exterior colours - Candy White, Summer Blue, Tossa Blue, Tornado Red, Sunset Red and Reflex Silver - are available.

Citi GTS is powered by the 62-kW version of VW's 1.4-litre unit. Peak power is available at 5 500 r/min, while the maximum torque figure is 124 Nm at 4 400 r/min.

Citi GTS comes standard with a three-year/120 000 km warranty, but maintenance and service plans are optional.

Citi GTS costs R102 400 including VAT.

That is roughly 7,500 GBP!!!!

7efa9fbd77b34f6b8709cdfc52bfb5f0.jpg

4a78d3c9a6884c258a243d6be6e0a5f9.jpg

89164c61973c4b92a1b1678749d67429.jpg

41fb5ac06a8549c2958e9f93453ef76b.jpg

455a7d554b7a4679982fb76e95b3eb3f.jpg

I honestly think VWSA should give it rest now... please

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
They must have found a wearhouse full of old body shells & need to move em on

Sa would be a great place ...it don't rain there much .............Errrr Does It???

OP
charlfourie

charlfourie

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1979 Mercedes Benz 250
Well the VW factory here have never stopped making the original golf. Full production on them, and selling thousands every year. I heard that VW Germany aren't too happy, because they feel the factory can be used for better needs. Like supplying the rest of the world with RHD VW models.

The current line-up: http://www.vw.co.za/models/citi/

Last edited:

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Six exterior colours - Candy White, Summer Blue, Tossa Blue, Tornado Red, Sunset Red and Reflex Silver - are available.

Tossa Blue - that's a great colour choice, imagine BMW adding that to their color range. he he he :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LSD

Reaction score
That would sell all day in the UK at that price and more if it had the original spec. 1.8 GTI engine and two doors (Is two-door no longer avaliable?). Of course, this would be "old" thinking so it would doubtless never be allowed to happen. Not to mention the change in safety laws since.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I would stil buy one in GTI 3 door shell.

It was an iconic hot hatch which people spend thousands to restore.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Tossa Blue - that's a great colour choice, imagine BMW adding that to their color range. he he he :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ha ha my sense of humour that:lol:classic.

Alfie B

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Looks a lot better than the fat Burgermeister that it is today

OP
charlfourie

charlfourie

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1979 Mercedes Benz 250
I personally feel that these are a far step from the original icon. With all the modern touches. So a restored classic would be much better in my opinion. Maybe all my moaning more has to do with the fact that I don't really fit in a mk1... hehe the mk2 was fine, and I had a GTi which was fantastic. But the mk1 always gave me a neck cramp. :)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
is that a polo dash they've shoehorned in there? I'd imagine with a modern golf dash you wouldn't be able to close the doors. Looks funny with the old fashioned door trim, manual mirrors and windey windows. I don't think you buy a car in the uk now with windey windows.

OP
charlfourie

charlfourie

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1979 Mercedes Benz 250
is that a polo dash they've shoehorned in there? I'd imagine with a modern golf dash you wouldn't be able to close the doors. Looks funny with the old fashioned door trim, manual mirrors and windey windows. I don't think you buy a car in the uk now with windey windows.

Think it might be a trimmed down Polo dash.

Guess the door trim, mirrors, and windey windows add to the 1970's charm. :)

The shame about the car is that it's not really cheap, so it's more for image sake. Which isn't the best image here in SA. Golfs are associated with boy racers and students here... and it seems like VW know that, and their market.

Current lineup of Citi's are the TenaCiti 1.4i, CitiStorm 1.4i, CitiSport 1.4i, Citi Billabong 1.4i, CitiXcite 1.4i, CitiRox 1.4i, Citi GTS 1.4i, CitiSport 1.6i and the CitiRox 1.6i. Starting at R84,000 (GBP 6,200) to R111,600 (GBP 8,4000). So there are lot of other cars I would rather buy. Modern, safer and better equipped alternatives. Also their not that cheap to maintain, no standard service plan included with the price. I bought one years back for an ex of mine, and I was astonished as the cost for parts compared to my Corolla at the time.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom