W123 spitting air vents

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpumphrey

Reaction score
Hi all,

My latest acquisition is an absolute star, but has this little niggle that other w123 owners may be familiar with (it certainly happened with my old 200T occasionally).

When it rains heavily overnight, water collects in the air vents, and then burbles and spits out at me from the pair of central vents when I start my journey in the morning. Sometimes, if the rain has been particularly heavy the foot wells (especially behind the passenger seat) can get damp from rain water travelling through the foot vents.

I've done the usual archive search but can't find anything relevant. Does anyone know where this rain is getting in, and how to stop it?

Cheers

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
LOL...

I have an image of you wincing as you are trying to see through the thick spray of water being directed into your face whilst driving to work on a cold winters morning. :lol: :lol:

My guesas is that the water run offs around the air intakes are blocked or maybe just partially. Best thing is to pour some water around the area and make sure the run off is quick, if not, you may have to get your pipe cleaners out.

OP
N

njpumphrey

Reaction score
Air intakes? - Do you mean the grills that the wipers stick out from?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi

I would clean all the drains out. If you open the bonnet and look in the corners you will see a plastic drain. Make sure this is free of leaves etc. Poke with wire clothes hanger. The front windscreen may be leaking. The water will travel down the bulk head and end up in the rear. Especially if parked on a hill or when you pull away.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

M

mezza

This is a classic problem. I had the same. Multiple causes. Comprehensive instructions on http://groups.msn.com/W123Club/messageboard.msnw but no search engine as such.

The old "waterworks" can be caused by numerous problems:-

1-There is a well where the springs which hold the bonnet fold into. This well has a sizeable drain hole and should never be allowed to fill with debris as it will then fill with water that drains off the screen/bonnet etc. This water will seep over the bulkhead, down kickwalls and into footwell. Poke a screwdriver in and rinse until it is clear (water should drain out of a hole by the front wheels). Both sides.

2-The air vents have a series of drain pans and drain pipes inside to drain the water entering the black vents and one just under the wiper spindles. Poke these with wire. Prise v.carefully the black vent covers off and get your hand in. There should be a clear path for the water to drain out of this area - if it doesn't, it goes straight into the heater matrix - hence wet face.

3-Check next to the bonnet seal. You're looking for v small rust holes - I had three. Again water that drains off bonnet / screen will gather in the channel parallel to the rubber bonnet seal - if there is a breach here, water goes straight into heater area in [2] above.

4-Take expanded coat hanger and poke the sunroof seals. This are situated in each of the four corners of the sunroof pan. These should collect the water and drain at the foot of A and B posts. Check that the wire (when pushed down front drain holes) appears out of an exit hole by the front door hinge (need to open the door). Occasionally the pipes carrying this water rust through requiring replacement.

there is more but I can't think of it right now

mezza

OP
N

njpumphrey

Reaction score
I finally got round to a more comprehensive check of the drainage this weekend. I had previously checked by the bonnet springs and the sunroof, but these changed nothing. It turned out to be number 2). from above - the drain under the passenger wiper was blocked. I am ready for anything the heavens can throw at me now! :D Cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom