W123 TD rear suspension

100haggis

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1984 300TD with self levelling suspension. I have developed a rear suspension knock which I can best describe as a dull, metallic twang? It seems to occur from the N/S rear usually when rounding a left hand bend IE. with no load on that rear corner. I can't see anything wrong with the springs, I've replaced the suspension bushes and anti-roll bar links but no change. Do the springs sit on unseen plastic seats that wear or anything like that? Anyone else suffered with this?
Cheers
Matt

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
theres usually a rubber cup at the top of the spring that may be damaged. the springs often only break a small amount off the end and could make a noise.

OP

100haggis

Reaction score
Thanks,
I'm guessing by looking that the springs are a bugger to get out? I assume this is the only way to check the rubber seats?

8~)

Reaction score
It's not a plastic drop link, that runs from the anti roll bar to hub, broken?

OP

100haggis

Reaction score
No sadly not. I have changed both though as they were a bit ropey but no improvement.

8~)

Reaction score
Pity, because replacing one of those is what solved my metallic knocking noise. I had to drive around with it bust for a few days - handling was not good. For a fiver the difference to the way the car drives is amazing.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
could well be a stone in the cup in the radius arm.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom