W124 280E 94 Boot Lock problem

Wizz Jones

Reaction score
Hi Folks
here's an obscure question in case someone can help.
I've just bought another old W124 - 94 vintage and surprised to find that unlike my previous 1990 model its not possible to lock the boot indepentally of the doors. The key will not go to 3 0'clock position and stay there. Can I fix this by changing the barrel or do I have to find a lock (and key!) and perhaps actuator from another car?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
if some of the internals are seized try something like WD40 through the key entry slot,
and the push button.

OP
W

Wizz Jones

Reaction score
W124 Boot Lock problem

Thanks David
of course I tried that! Someone told me that some of the W124s after 1990 didn't have that facility - don't know if they're right there.............

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
are you thinking of the valet parking facility, where you can give a key for valet to take your car and park it; but he cannot get into boot with THAT key, where you may have some valuables stored ??

OP
W

Wizz Jones

Reaction score
w124 boot lock problem

Hi David
thanks for sticking with me. No I'm aware of that and I don't have the valet key with this car. But on the earlier model it was possible with the universal key to lock the boot permanently by turning it to the 3 o'clock position even after locking it with the key in the driver's door or using the remote BUT this car doesn't have a remote key but does have central locking. Then when unlocking at the driver's door the boot would still be locked. Its all a bit of a conundrum...its not possible to get the key to stay at the 3 o'clock position even with the actuator disconnected. Maybe I should order the valet key (at an extortionate price I expect) but I'm sure that's not the answer. The real answer I suspect is to buy another 124 and check that facility before buying!!!
Have a good BH Monday day!
Ray

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom