W124 300TD ABS light on won't tickover, revcounter stopped working

OP
R

rattlecrank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD 1993 3 litre diesel
Right, now I've got back on it - I started tracing the loom back around the rear of the engine bay, and there it was, the red/blue wire in the loom has been pinched on the corner of the inlet manifold - also goes into the OVP. Offending section now chopped out and we now have tick over, ABS light extinguished, and rev counter working.

Video clip is attached, not that I want to influence too many here but is the noise just 'diesel knock' from being too far advanced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_eR2D5E2kk

OP
R

rattlecrank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD 1993 3 litre diesel
That was a coldish start. It does improve a little when hot. Oil pressure is good I have changed all the tappets, and the noise is still there, I've also cracked off the injectors to see if one of them is knocking, but it's still around. I think I've mentioned, but I've also checked the roller bearing on the vacuum pump, and done an injector pressure test. It smokes and misfires a little on start - up (which I thought shows the timing is possibly too far retarded) but also has this knock which is associated with being too far advanced!!
The old dear has only done 176K with full service history and one owner but sat on a drive for around 18 months gathering water and moss - I can't help feeling that these gremlins are a result of that rather prolonged lay - off, but I seem to be getting there.
I'm not sure if I ought to be starting a new thread here, (please advise), but there is another issue which I'm not sure about. Gearbox will change from 3rd to 2nd when I back off the accelerator almost like kick-down in reverse, especially when cold, doesn't do it so much when warm. ATF level seems to be little on the high side, could this make it behave like this?

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Check the clear pipe bringing fuel up to the secondary filter ( big one at front of engine) and see if any air bubbles being dragged in with the fuel as they will cause it to clatter a bit.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Check the engine type and we can advise better. The engine number is on the V5

If the car is RHD & post-facelift it will almost certainly be a 606 and be badged E300 Diesel

Nick Froome

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom