W124 squeaky steering

MikeCoupe

Reaction score
I seem to be asking for help all too often :confused:

Recently I asked about sqeaky suspension, and it went away on its own. However, a new squeak (which sounds exactly like the old squeak) has appeared when I turn the wheel to the right... Ive had the ball joints checked and theres no play in them, and no evidence of water getting in them. Anyone know what this could be? Just a squeaky power steering belt perhaps?

Thanks, Mike

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
This may be air trapped in the system. Jack the front of the car up (wheels off the ground) start the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
depend on the squeek, the lower ball joints can squeek but will have no play in them due to rust inside the joint.

gyoung

Reaction score
Squeaky noise

I think I have the same noise. Kind of a funny noise that sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel. I have a 2002 CLK 430 almost 60,000 miles. Do I need my ball joints replaced?

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
I think I have the same noise. Kind of a funny noise that sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel. I have a 2002 CLK 430 almost 60,000 miles. Do I need my ball joints replaced?

Lubricate the rubber grommet at the bottom of the steering column.

gyoung

Reaction score
Steering wheel noise

What's exactly is a rubber grommet? Is it right under the steering? Do I have to remove anything? What type of lubricant do I use? Thanks for your help.

OP
MikeCoupe

MikeCoupe

Reaction score
The damn squeak is back. It goes away and then, just when I thought it was safe to go outside again, the squeak raises its ugly head again. I have my car booked inmy garage for a high idle issue; just a check up really so that I can take it back to the dealer for some warrenty work (as the dealer is quite far away) and know whats up with it. I shall ask them to take a look at the ball joints again as I'm not convinced theyre up to scratch, even though they said theres no play, or evidence that theyre full of rust. The warrenty runs out in a few weeks, so Id best get my skates on! :S

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I think the gromet black c55 is refering to is where the column goes through the floor, about as far away from the driver as you can get without getting under the bonnet.

You may need to remove a panel that sits over your feet to see it,and use something slippy that will not destroy rubber, ie definately not engine oil.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
MikeCoupe

I would take it to a Merc dealer for an MOT. Tony Purslow is good (branches in Surrey and Hants) and you might just get a free MOT for an older car.

It will be a stringent test unlike the dealer you bought the car from, that will not want to spend money on your car at no charge.

You will at least then have a list of rectifications (if there are any) to give the supplying dealer.

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
negative progress on the squeek

I also have a steering squeek on my 1993 220TE that sounds like its in the bit within the cabin .

i have taken the wheel and airbag / horn ring and indicator stalk off and cleaned / greased where i can.eg horn ring / contacts

i have also listened underneath by suspension joints the noise is in closest proximity to the bottom of the column / box area.
power steering belt fine not a slipping noise and fluid level is ok.

i will be checking this grommet out and my balljoints in case its referred from them (one has been renewed recently but other has been in since i had the car (at 132k now 188K)

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Mine was the rubber grommet , took off the trim above pedals lo and behold there it was so lubed it with silicon lubricant my car is nice and serene now just how a merc should be

Top Bottom