w124 suspension time to replace?

louisoliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E280 + LPG
Hello, when i'm driving round bends or roundabouts I've noticed my car seems to lean a fair bit so passenger have to prop themselves or hold the seat and I'm not a speed merchant. At what age /mileage do you advise the repalcement of suspension components and which ones? My car is one of the face lifted w124's a 1996 e280. Just about to turn 100k. Also has anyone lowered this model slightly (~20mm) or is that a wrong move?

BarryG

Reaction score
Take your pick from among
Shock absorbers gone, or the antiroll bar or mounts. Or even a broken spring.

Hibbo

Reaction score
I would like to think your springs and dampers would be ok at that age and mileage. It easy to check the dampers by bouncing each corner. Do all four corners sit at the same height?

Go for the cheap rubber bits and droplinks first.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you do lower the car, the, the suspension should be set up,only MB dealers usually have the correct jigs.

Malcolm

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
There's plenty of body roll on a W124 - it's the way the car was designed

I'd replace the front ARB bushes and check all the suspension arms & bushes for wear. Also check the drop arms for the front ARB to make sure they haven't snapped or come loose

Lowering the car won't stop it rolling. A bigger ARB will and this is a feasible modification - use the front ARB from a Sportline car, E36, E500 or limo

Shock absorbers don't stop body roll, they damp the spring motion. I wouldn't expect the shocks to need replacing at that mileage but I'd expect wear on a number of bushes & links and it all adds up

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Top Bottom