W124's and Star Diag

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
I have been looking for what pins on the Star diag system connect to. I have a red , white, yellow and black lead. I know where the diag box is on a 124 but can I for the life of me find what pins go where? Nope. Not even on my WIS. Anyone here know the answer to the best kept secret?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Yes star does read the diag port ive done it, top left corner is the negative, then I think its 16 and 8 or 6 for yellow, there are 4 wires on the cable but you only need to use 3
jib

OP
I

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Thanks for the reply's so far. Tried what has been written to no avail. My black lead has MASSL written on it, the red lead has 12V+ on it, the yellow has SIGNAL and the white has KL 15 written on it. Are we saying that the Black goes to pin 1, the Yellow goes to pin 6 or 8 and the Red to 16?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
yes black is negative, yellow is the feed for the info, red is 16 ithink

jib

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Basically you need only 3 wires as has been said. RED is a positive 12v supply you can connect directly to the battery can be pin 16 with ignition on. Black is normally earth pin1 or possibly any good vehicle earth. The yellow lead is for the signal will monitor different functions dependant on what system you are monitoring. Here are the pins for the 16 pin connector from one source.

1 Ground
2 OBD Push-button for On Board Diagnostic (California only)
3 CIS-E
DM
Continuous Fuel injection system (CFI)
Diagnostic Module - LED (California only)
4 EDS Electronic diesel system
5 ASD
4MATIC
Automatic locking differential
Automatic-engaged four wheel drive
6 SRS / AB Supplemental Restraint System / Air Bag
7 A/C
RB
Air Conditioning (Model 124)
Roll Bar (Model 129)
8 DI
HFM-SFI
PEC
Distributor ignition
HFM Sequential multi-port Fuel Injection/Ignition system
Pressurized engine control
9 ADS
RB
Adaptive Damping System
Roll Bar (Model 124)
10 RST Roadster Soft Top (Model 129)
TN-signal (Gasoline)
11 ATA Anti Theft Alarm system
12 IRCL Infrared Remote Central Locking
13 ETC Electronic automatic Transmission Control
14 EA
CC / ISC
ESCM
Electronic Accelerator (Model 124)
Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control (Model 124)
Engine System Control Module (MAS), (Model 129)
15 Not used
16 Voltage, Ignition ON (Circuit 15) (Not equipped on all models.)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
with the star machine you WILL need to connect all 4x cables. pin1 black, pin8 (for hfm/pms etc) yellow, pin16 white and red to battery. remember that star can only read the digital modules, and will not read eg srs etc that only have blink codes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What I do not get is,, what chance does one have in using the thing if you cannot even wire it in,, I would hate a car of mine going on his STAR

OP
I

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
What I do not get is,, what chance does one have in using the thing if you cannot even wire it in,, I would hate a car of mine going on his STAR
Thank you for your most helpful post. Unlike you I do not know everything. Where better to ask a question but here. I was under the impression that media such as this was to assist and help people. I am obviously wrong and apologise for seeking guidance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your most helpful post. Unlike you I do not know everything. Where better to ask a question but here. I was under the impression that media such as this was to assist and help people. I am obviously wrong and apologise for seeking guidance.

There is much more to it than what I said above and you know that Ian

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
with the star machine you WILL need to connect all 4x cables. pin1 black, pin8 (for hfm/pms etc) yellow, pin16 white and red to battery. remember that star can only read the digital modules, and will not read eg srs etc that only have blink codes.

sorry duplicate post see below.

Last edited:

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate

Interested to read your post. I am not familiar with the Star unit unit "per se " but am slightly surprised if it can't read/interpret blink codes--maybe the designers felt it was not worth catering for these older legacy systems? I am fairly sure there must be more basic units out there that can do this since much of the first OBD stuff used such codes. e.g. http://www.k6jrf.com/mb_scnrs.html Also interested that the white wire goes to pin 16 which an ignition switched 12volt supply in addition to the red wire which has to connected to a constant 12v supply. I assume this is to make sure the ignition switch is on prior to testing or maybe serves as a voltage reference line??

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interested to read your post. I am not familiar with the Star unit unit "per se " but am slightly surprised if it can't read/interpret blink codes--maybe the designers felt it was not worth catering for these older legacy systems? I am fairly sure there must be more basic units out there that can do this since much of the first OBD stuff used such codes. e.g. http://www.k6jrf.com/mb_scnrs.html Also interested that the white wire goes to pin 16 which an ignition switched 12volt supply in addition to the red wire which has to connected to a constant 12v supply. I assume this is to make sure the ignition switch is on prior to testing or maybe serves as a voltage reference line??

The HHT tester could check everything on a 124 and 129 and 140. They all got thrown away, and I have never heard of anyone owning one in the 4 years that I have been on forums. the transfer over to star was done on cars about 1995 and on, info for the earlier car was left off WIS for the best part. cars that had ADS and ASD are left out in the cold with all reference to HHT.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The HHT tester could check everything on a 124 and 129 and 140. They all got thrown away, and I have never heard of anyone owning one in the 4 years that I have been on forums. the transfer over to star was done on cars about 1995 and on, info for the earlier car was left off WIS for the best part. cars that had ADS and ASD are left out in the cold with all reference to HHT.

The inexorable march of technology does tend to leave older systems out in the cold as you say Malcolm. I bet there is a tester out there that will do it with the appropriate "cartridge" or software It's sourcing the b***** thing. Some people have recommended this but don't know if the software disc would include the earlier codes for Mercedes or not? http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/codereaders/mj005.htm

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
I am be wrong in my assumption, but I would have thought that the training required to operate one of these machines on such complex vehicles , would cover, at the very least, how to plug them in.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I am be wrong in my assumption, but I would have thought that the training required to operate one of these machines on such complex vehicles , would cover, at the very least, how to plug them in.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I don't think STAR was designed for the older models and therefore requires some ingenuity to make it fit. Like you, I may be wrong though. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What I will do when I have time is to read on the testing procedure for HHT and the later version on STAR,, ASR is a good example where as ASR 1 is all HHT only and ASR11 is OK on STAR, I would like to be able to buy a HHT tester,maybe from Ebay USA as they did not all get scrapped over there, then May we can work something out

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
although star integrates a simulated version of the HHT, it does not support blink codes. we find this is of little consequence as they are very easy to read with basic equipment. i use a 'power probe' which is little more than an LED with a couple of wires and a switch!! i am not aware that the actual HHT was able to read blink codes, i though a different machine was directed to do this in all the wis documents? either way, when you have read the blink codes wis is able to de-code them, and direct thorough test procedures.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>which is little more than an LED with a couple of wires and a switch!!

Yes, that's what I use, made up from some old bits and pieces we had lying around at work.

Does Star allow any live data to be read from these older cars?

Top Bottom