W163 Bike Rack Fitting

ferrispedro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Has anyone fitted an Avenir/Raleigh one to an ML? In a previous thread about fitting the retaining clips to the bottom of the tailgate (an E 300 TD in that case) the OP said his tailgate was too thick at the bottom for the clips to fit. Having looked at my ML270 I can see his point but there are small "cut-outs" in the bottom of the trim which could possibly be prised out allowing the clips to fit. Anyone done this?

penton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 2002 320 R170 slk 230 komp.
Not that particular make but probably similar. To attach the high level rack to my ML I bought some webbing straps with rings on from ebay. The top straps I attach to the rear of the roof rails, the centre straps are fixed on to the cargo hooks inside on the side panels and for the bottom they are looped round a 2x2 timber which lays across the boot floor. When the tailgate is shut I pull the straps tight so the timber is against the inner face of the tailgate. This gives the rack a very firm fixing without the risk of damage to the tailgate. The only downside is you cannot open the boot with the rack attached.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
Robin

OP
F

ferrispedro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Thanks Robin. I am curious about the (cut outs) on the bottom of the tailgate,do you understand what I mean. Perhaps you could have a look and give me your thoughts? Peter.

penton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 2002 320 R170 slk 230 komp.
If you are referring to the five cutouts in the bottom of the trim panel on the tailgate, I would forget it. That panel is plastic (at least on mine it is) and I wouldn't think it would support the strain of a bike rack.
Robin

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom