1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W169 Air conditioning

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Biggles1957, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Biggles1957

Biggles1957 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    W169 A Class CVT A180 2006 Elegance
    So when I got out of the car last Wednesday and it was colder outside (yes - last Wednesday!!) I thought there might be a problem with my air con. Although it's a 2006 car, it's only done 56,500 miles. I tend to leave the air con all the time to avoid seals etc drying out. Had it re-gassed last year and decided it most likely would be the condenser as it's 14 years old. However, brilliant mobile chap came over today and there are no leaks in the system but no gas either! So, my condenser is fine and it turned out to be the Shrader valve just in front of the bulkhead - when he'd gassed it all up you could just see the slightest bubbling down inside the valve. So a quick tweak to tighten the valve seat and all is well!

Dean Fletcher, GLK and daibevan like this.
  2. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A200 Avantgarde Special Edition Sports Coupé • C169
    That's great - certainly better, and I bet lot cheaper, than fitting a new condenser ;)

I had mine replaced by Olly @ PCS five years ago (luckily, the new to me car was still under dealer's 3-month RAC Gold warranty) - brilliant job, as always: it didn't require a re-gas as yet, and it's ice cold. I too never switch the air con off.

I was going to fit a finer (6x9 mm) mesh for the lower grille, where the condenser gets hammered due to insufficient protection, but it was suggested that, the inevitable reduction in airflow might bring up more trouble than it fixes.
    Decided to leave it as is, for now.

My A200 is the same age and [almost] the same mileage as yours - just getting to 52.5k ...

3. gh3382

gh3382 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W164 ML350
    MMMM a new condensor on mine tomorrow costing £503. Not happy but **** happens.

GH3382

4. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    HOW MUCH? :eek:
    The last condensor I bought was for my Omega ... can't now remember how much but I'm sure it was no more than about £150 inc a dryer. DIY fitting was very straight forward.

Dean Fletcher likes this.