W169 suspension

Biggles1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 A Class CVT A180 2006 Elegance
So I'm finally gathering the bits to fit new springs and shock absorbers etc to my 180D 2006 car to increase the ground clearance a bit. I've had good advice from people on here but am wondering now if there's anything special I need to do. Basically a 'how to' for removing the existing and fitting the new ones. Do I need to fit new top mounts as well? I have a press so I think I can rig up to compress the springs etc. Many thanks!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Don't be tempted to "rig up" something to remove springs. Once compressed they store a LOT of energy. If that suddenly releases it can be lethal.
I had a proper spring compressor slip. The bolt from the compressor **** past my thumb just grazing it but it still hit hard enough to leave an enormous bruise that prevented me holding spanners in that hand for a few days. I hate to think what a direct hit on the thumb would have done.

While you have it apart you may as well change the top mount. You already have to remove it so while it's out do it.

OP
B

Biggles1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I should have said it's a 12 ton hydraulic press and `I also have some HD spring compressors - as you rightly say there a lot of energy in a spring. Someone I knew years ago punched a hole in the front wing of his MGB when he was trying to do the king pins!

I thought it might make sense to do the top mounts - then the whole thing would be one assembly to pop back in I Guess. Anyone know if there's a 'how to' on here? Just so I do everything in the correct order...

Thanks for all the help!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not sure on the specifics of yours but in general it's pretty straightforward.
Remove the disc caliper and support so it doesn't hang off the brake line.
Release bottom ball joint.
Undo top mount bolts and lower the strut.
Fit spring compressors and tension so its loose. Undo nut on top of strut. Remove top mount, bumpstop and spring. Note the order it comes apart!
Slowly release tension on the spring once it's off.
Reassembly is the reverse.

It can sometimes be useful to use a rattle gun on the top mount before starting disassembly just to loosen it. Do not remove entirely!!!

OP
B

Biggles1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Brilliant - thanks - I found this the other day actually so am quite looking forwards to my bits arriving!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom