W202 220CDI Auto Laggy Turbo

ricardo_jg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C220 CDI 1999
Hi guys!

I have a W202 C220cdi with a turbo that has seen better days. It will need replacement sometime soon and I was wondering if I could improve the response of the car.

This is an auto state that between pressing the foot all way down and efective response from the engine can take as much as 2 whole seconds.

I'm satisfied with the power available but if i could improve a little bit I wouldn't say no, however the main concern is the response time.
I've read something about an electronic boost controller that could dramatically improve the performance of the turbo but I still couldn't understand how it works.

I also thought of replacing the existing turbo for an hybrid one but this should induce more lag, right?

Keeping the costs low, how can I do this? Or is this a characteristic of the auto gearbox?

Thanks,
Ricardo

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think you'd be better off getting the car remapped. Big gains to be had on cdi engines.

Have a word with GAD, one of the forum supporters ;)

OP
R

ricardo_jg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C220 CDI 1999
I've read something about an electronic boost controller that could dramatically improve the performance of the turbo but I still couldn't understand how it works.

Been reading something about this and looks like It only controls boost levels better than the stock system so it's not the answer to my needs. ;)

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Good evening,

Im not sure if its the turbo that's in question? The turbos or those should be producing full boost at 2000rpm! I mean there could be a restriction in the CAT which could cause insufficient flow for turbo spool but I don't think so. When you say fully pressing the peddle do you mean kick down??? This would add to the delay as the vehicle will get 100% request from you (Your right foot) but then will be getting a request for a kick down.

Regards

The GAD team

OP
R

ricardo_jg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C220 CDI 1999
Good evening,

Im not sure if its the turbo that's in question? The turbos or those should be producing full boost at 2000rpm! I mean there could be a restriction in the CAT which could cause insufficient flow for turbo spool but I don't think so. When you say fully pressing the peddle do you mean kick down??? This would add to the delay as the vehicle will get 100% request from you (Your right foot) but then will be getting a request for a kick down.

Regards

The GAD team

Well I tried to limit the gear so no kick down is possible and it's still laggy.
And kickdown takes me to that dreadful 2 seconds that can make an overtake too risky. Sometimes even without pressing the pedal until the 2 spring (harder) the gearbox shifts back. If I'm at 3rd at 1200rpm, even at half pedal she goes into 2nd. It's logical as at 1200rpm the turbo won't be available. The problem is that only after this gear change, is the turbo spooled up. All this time is way too long.

Can a remap reduce the spool up time of a turbo without a surge comes in to place? (Too much vaccum at too low rpms?)

About the turbo. The car has 270000kms, and about 12 months ago it started with a noise like the sound of a cat everytime it spooled up. Now looks like something is scratching.

But I do have some metallic rattling noise when driving on poor roads, but I took the cat off (large piece after the turbo?) and shook it and it was ok, no noise.

:) Sorry about all this newbie stuff.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Good morning,

If the turbo makes high pitched noises like then it is not very well at all! Now that you mention this it does sound like the actual unit is at fault!

Many thanks

The GAD team

OP
R

ricardo_jg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C220 CDI 1999
Hi GAD and thanks for the reply!

As I'm going to replace the turbo (or rebuild) do you think it would bring any advantage of hybriding the new unit?

And abou decat, is there anything else needed other than replace it with a new section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Good afternoon,

I would definitely recommend having the unit having a Hybrid conversion!!! The turbo will spool faster and be able to handle greater temps!

Many thanks

The GAD team

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom