W202 C250TD Engine transplant - electrical help required

tip2812

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250/1997/OM605
Hi All,
I am new to this forum having accepted a challenge, which I am already regretting, somewhat.
I have been given 2 cars - one a 1997 C250 Sport TD Auto (large MOT bill to keep it on the road) and the other is a 1965 Ford Zodiac Estate.
The Zodiac has a very broken 6 cyl engine and task I've been given is to put the Merc engine (OM605) and auto box into it. Quite easy physically, but electronically a few wrinkles.

I have previously joined a Honda 1.6VTEC to a Renault NG3 box and also now run a Ford Duratec engined car driving through a VW box - so not phazed by the engineering side of things.

I have sussed the Merc engine wiring loom and am happy with how all the sensors connect to the ECU (a Merc A 018 545 34 32), also happy with how the transmission ECU links both to the gearbox and the interlink to the engine ECU.

But now the major wrinkle the MultiFunction Control Module (210 820 32 26) and the Alarm and Central Locking Module (GM1121MGF) and the Immobiliser (JVM0050XXA) are involved in powering up the ECU and also in the starter circuit.

Not to mention all of the locks, ignition key, flashy mirror with its red&green lights, MIL embedded in the dash, myriad of sensors etc.

I've heard that people have used this engine on boats and hence it should be possible to get just the engine and box working without all of the peripheral locks and alarms - or so my customer says.

I've been reading the forum entries about immobilisers with ever growing angst, worries and fear that I may have been fed a really thankless task with this one. May be an impossible task.

I have all of the front looms and control modules on the workshop floor and the engine and box are on a trolley next to the car. And I don't want to fit the old ignition switch and sensing coil + MFCM + Alarm + Immobiliser etc into the Zodiac.

Does anyone now how to spoof the engine ECU into thinking all is well and be able to start and run?

I read several posts that say that on this model/year the ECU is not coded with information from the key. Can someone confirm that this is true?

I hope someone can cast some light on this. I noted some very early posts saying that this is possible but the answers cannot be posted for security reasons - I can of course validate the above with photos if someone does know the answer and need to know that this is a genuine project.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would have said that the 1997 engine was fine, it is the later versions about 1999 that use all the DAS stuff

OP
T

tip2812

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250/1997/OM605
further info required

Hi television

thanks for this - I noticed in one of the other threads you mentioned 12 emails containing info on these alarm systems.
Is this information still available?

I have put the loom together on the floor and tried to monitor the feed from pin 43 on the ECU which goes to the fuel cutoff solenoid. When I switch the ignition on this lights momentarily but then goes out. Is this correct?
Or is the ECU not seeing some other input it is expecting and hence has locked the fuel off?

There is a sticker on the rear window stating the car is fitted with a Mercedes Approved Alarm System.

It is an IR based system (receiver in the centre mirror with green & red lights) using a fold out key with integrated single button for IR.
There is also a transponder coil on the ignition switch which connects to the IR/DAS control module (this is partno 210 820 32 26) also connected to this are some remote sensors, fitted by the front A-posts, plus another couple of sensors.
There is also a CAN bus cable connecting the IR/DAS to the Engine ECU. The loom from the IR/DAS then goes into and out of a solid state module which I assume is the Immobiliser logic module (Partno. 1668 0011 03 9704 also marked with JVM0050XXA).

As mentioned I have the looms and engine/transmission on the floor and want to be confident it will all work before I start to shoehorn it into the Ford Zephyr!

Any additional thoughts, help or documents would be appreciated.
Dave :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the lamp goes out till a signal received from the CPS and the engine needs to be turning over to get a response from the CPS

One bib problem is that no information was aver released on the UK fitted alarms, one can wire up the car by joining the same coloured wires together

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
nice project! pictures of it as it progresses would be VERY nice to see!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
You say you have a transponder coil around the ignition switch and a transponder in the key then I believe this type of immobiliser system was factory fitted, and has nothing to do with the alarm, the alarm system would of been fitted by the dealer (if indeed you have an alarm).
The alarm/immobiliser systems fitted in this era of C class were changing very quickly some cars had an alarm which incorporated an immobiliser which I could have instructed you how to bypass, as they were effectively an after market system that was fitted by the importer at point of entry into the UK, with UK sourced parts with MB pt. no.s, But the system you have is a mystery to me.
The immobiliser you have was I think the first incarnation of DAS, I have never heard of someone successfully by passing this immobiliser, but that is not to say it can,t be done.
For info the only thing I have come across regarding a diesel with this sort of system is that the immobiliser utilised a coded fuel valve, which you mention something about, is it possible to remove this and find a suitable replacement? As this MAY solve your issue.
Hope this is of some help

OP
T

tip2812

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250/1997/OM605
Hi All,

thanks for the input - have now gt to the stage of trying to start the 'beast' having finished all the plumbing & exhausts. Good news is the engine turns over but only in Park as you would expect. The bad news is that it hasn't started yet.
Am just sitting down with a cup of tea to work out a plan of action. Will post a picture of the 'security' system when I get home tonight - doing this from the workshop without my normal PC - then you can all see what was installed on the original C-Class.
Will keep you all up to date with progress.
Any further thoughts / ideas will be very welcome.
Dave

OP
T

tip2812

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250/1997/OM605
Picture of Immobiliser/Alarm on this W202/C250TD

Hi All,
As promised here are the 'Security' components from my deconstructed loom,
labelled as follows, starting at bottom left and going clockwise:

Please note the labels are my descriptions, taken from other posts and Google searches. They may not be correct so if you know different please shout.

Label on rear window -:- Vehicle fitted with Mercedes Approved Alarm System
Around the starter switch -:- the key's Transducer Coil
Top Left -:- the CAN Bus pair of wires to the main ECU
Right Top -:- the wires going off to the sensors (2 on the A-posts etc)
Middle Right -:- GM1121MGF Alarm & Central Locking Unit
Bottom Right -:- wire to the 'Close Relay'
Next Bottom -:- wires from 'immobiliser' to the general wiring loom (includes earth & power)
Next Bottom -:- wires to the Central Mirror (with Red/Green Lights & IR sensor)
Middle Right -:- 1668 0011 03 9704 / JV0050XXA Immobiliser (?)
Left Right -:- 210 820 32 36 Control Module

Happy reading and I will get back to debugging over the weekend.
Dave

Attachments

• alarm-immobiliser-components.jpg
    alarm-immobiliser-components.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 150

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Do not for get to take the inners out of the top of fuel tank funnel, as the deisel pump on the forecourts are larger. Hope this helps

OP
T

tip2812

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250/1997/OM605
Update as of Tuesday testing

Hi All,
A quick update to let you know where I've got to.
Just realised there was a small error in the numbers in my previous post - in the picture it says the Control Module is number 210 820 32 36 it should end with 26, so 210 820 32 26.

Now today's update after a relaxing Bank Hol weekend.

The engine cranks fine and I've put a test light on the output from the ECU to the yellow/black wire that goes to the Fuel Cut off valve - when cranking the test light shows that there is power to the valve so I belief it should be held open and allow diesel to flow into the pump.
However having cracked a couple of pipes at the injectors we're still not getting diesel delivered.
On the forums it appears that there are some problems with getting fuel up to the fuel filter and into the pump - so a low pressure electrical pump (1Ltr/minute) has been fitted just before the Heat Exchanger and we're now certain that fuel is getting to the Fuel Filter block, but this made no difference.
So the car is not running yet because of lack of diesel (I believe).
I have also tried directly wiring the fuel shut off valve to no benefit.

So in summary:
the engine cranks fine when the AutoTrans is in Park (not if in Drive as designed) so i reckon the K40 starter circuit is wired correctly
when cranking there is 12V being delivered to the fuel shutoff valve on the pump
the fuel shut off valve can be heard to operate
but NO diesel is being delivered to the injectors

So my question now is what does the 'Fuel Quantity Adjuster' on the backend of the pump do?
It is wired through a 'white' connector from the ECU into the engine loom and has 5 connections a 12V live and an earth from the ECU then 3 'signal' wires from the ECU yellow on pin 9, white on 10 and red on 46.

Does anyone know how this bit functions?
Also could 'Fuel Quantity Adjuster' also deliver zero fuel i.e. provide a 2nd fuel cut off or security valve?

As usual any help welcome.
Thanks for reading

Dave

Hario'

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Wagon OM606STD
Either the rack is in the no fuel position because the ECU isn't happy with some parameters - check fault codes, could be anothing, you're using the 722.6 auto? It needs everything to be in order electronically to be happy.

Or the fuel cutoff solenoid is not in the run position because or something i.e immobiliser.

Have you tried unbolting the cut-off solenoid and c ranking to proove its fueling into the side of the IP?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
My thoughts as posts #6 and #12 above.

The 722.6 autobox will be a no go, unless you can also integrate the full ESP or ASR system (the gearbox ecu needs wheel speed data to work, as well as communication with the ESP/ASR module which also needs to be happy).

The pump will not pump, until the engine ECU tells it to, regardless of the shut off valve.
Do you have ALL the engine sensors wired in?

You will have noticed it is a fly by wire pump, so the 'fuel quantity adjuster' does the job of the throttle linkage, subject to the engine ECU being 'happy'.

Hario'

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Wagon OM606STD
A mechanical IP from a 5-cylinder OM602 will set you back about £150, and one of these to controll the gearbox 'may' be a better idea:

http://soundgermanautomotive.com/pcs/ (available MB 722.6 specific)
or
the equivalent sold by 'olefejer' on superturbodiesel.com

...would solve all your problems..

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom