W202 sunroof 4 way switch fault

bigjobby01

Reaction score
Hi, the 4 way switch for the sunroof seems to be faulty. Only back to open and up to tilt work, forward and down to close the SR wont work. Is there anything that can be done or will I have to replace the whole unit?

xvvvz

Reaction score
Have you tried resynchronizing the sunroof first? Look in your manual for directions.

OP
bigjobby01

bigjobby01

Reaction score
Thanks XVVVZ, I'll have a look. I had to sync the electric windows when I first got the car, never associated the SR with the same thing.

OP
bigjobby01

bigjobby01

Reaction score
I have had a look in the manual and owners hand book and am unable to find any mention of re-syncing the limits. I had to do this with the windows "hold for 2 seconds" etc but can't find anything for the SR. Does anyone know if there is a similar calibration for the SR

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have had a look in the manual and owners hand book and am unable to find any mention of re-syncing the limits. I had to do this with the windows "hold for 2 seconds" etc but can't find anything for the SR. Does anyone know if there is a similar calibration for the SR

I do not think that you can re sync a sun roof. What are the first 6 VIN numbers

OP
bigjobby01

bigjobby01

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay Television, the first 6 numbers are 202020

xvvvz

Reaction score
On my W202, you have to resync the sunroof any time the battery is disconnected. I am not near the car right now but I believe you turn the key to position two and then move the sunroof to either the top vent position or to the top vent position and then close it down to the regular closed position. Whichever one it is, you move the SR to that position and then hold the button for a few seconds. You will feel a quick kick from the SR motor and then you know it is sync'd.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
The SR sync is the same as all the windows, simply move the window backwards and hold the button for 10 seconds and then move the window forwards and hold the button for 10 seconds. If you read it on Star D it will say SR not normalised. Sometimes you have to repeat the proceedure to make it normalise.

OP
bigjobby01

bigjobby01

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this didn't work the first time I tried it, but now it works just fine. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Thanks again

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this didn't work the first time I tried it, but now it works just fine. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Thanks again
Its not you at fault, this is why I said you may have to repeat the proceedure. The system, for some reason, does not always reset on the first try. On some cars Ive had to do it five or six times before it resets:confused:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom