1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W203 C200 Kompressor faltering on idle

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by punkieys17, Nov 6, 2012.

1. punkieys17

punkieys17 Member

Hi, my wife's C200K estate has developed an annoying fault. It falters when idling and threatens to stall. Its done 130,000 miles.

The engine light lit up and merely reported a misfire on cylinder 1. I cleared the codes to see what comes back - it occassionally reports a problem with the throttle body - but its occurance is less often than the car is logging the misfire.

Today I have swapped the coil pack and spark plug with cylinder 2 to see if it moves.

Over a year ago I checked and found the car did have the oil from the camshaft sensors problem and I fitted a new down stream sensor, cleaned the loom, fitted the intermediary loom fix and checked the ECU end which was completely clear. It was not exhibiting the problem then - luckily I read the forums so reacted before thre leak was too bad.

What I did not replace at that time was the upstream sensor - is this a posibility? I had purchased a NGK OZA659-EE24 but when I went to look today I am sure the wiring attached is too short.

So any input on what might be contributing to the problem would be appreciated and a secondary question is where is the connector for the upstream sensor please - I have traced the wire from the upstream sensor and it disappears around the back of the engine above the transmision - where does it actually clip?

2. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    Got one in at the moment doing exactly the same thing, lumpy idle, stalling and yet goes like a scalded cat on throttle.

I checked the timing yesterday and its a tooth out on the exhaust Cam and 1/2 tooth out on the inlet cam. It has a stretched timing chain.

I fear you have the same problem which is becoming more and more of an issue on the 271 engine. I would get it checked ASAP.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. OP
    punkieys17

punkieys17 Member

Thanks Steve i will check. - Though its running fine normally - then it will have the odd hiccough - surely it would do it all the time if its mechanical... - but still woirth checking