W203 fuel smell

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Compressor Estate 2006
Re the photo that I posted, does anyone know what that plastic nipple is for?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Re the photo that I posted, does anyone know what that plastic nipple is for?
Try getting a piece of tubing that fits over the tube/nipple fitting and put a couple of hose clamps over it to seal the leak. As it is isn't under pressure it has a good chance of a permanent and safe fix.

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try getting a piece of tubing that fits over the tube/nipple fitting and put a couple of hose clamps over it to seal the leak. As it is isn't under pressure it has a good chance of a permanent and safe fix.
Thanks Oldspanners. Do you know if that nipple has a hole in the end like a breather? I have no idea what it was for...

Good idea with the tubing-just need to know if I should seal the end up..

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Thanks Oldspanners. Do you know if that nipple has a hole in the end like a breather? I have no idea what it was for...

Good idea with the tubing-just need to know if I should seal the end up..
Sorry I've no idea, but can't think why there should be as the tank is vented by the filler pipes, look at this and see if you can identify the part. Or go back to the initial page and put your VIN in to be sure it's the correct diagram. Perhaps it's there to purge or clean the tank just guessing.
https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/...00+kompressor/66u/203741/fg/0/0/47/0/015/0/0/

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its 150, 160, 170 and 180.

No idea what it does tho!

Thanks

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That seems to be a rubber sleeve with a hex nut on the top, curiouser and curiouser!
Push a rubber tube over it clamp it with the hose clamps and give it a try.
Here's a WiS document but it doesn't shed any light either.
https://mbwis.net/en/doc/18013344
Thanks OS, I will give it a try.

Wondered if it is for an extra part not fitted on my model.

Anyhow, great advice and thanks for your time.

I am a fan of MBS and they seemed confused about it too. Certainly not worth a new tank!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Thanks OS, I will give it a try.

Wondered if it is for an extra part not fitted on my model.

Anyhow, great advice and thanks for your time.

I am a fan of MBS and they seemed confused about it too. Certainly not worth a new tank!
On a second look what you pointed out seems to be a mounting with bushing, rubber washers and a nut. Can't get a view of the part you're looking at, but give it a go for a couple of hose clips and a piece of tube to save a new tank.
Good luck.

OP
R

RickC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a second look what you pointed out seems to be a mounting with bushing, rubber washers and a nut. Can't get a view of the part you're looking at, but give it a go for a couple of hose clips and a piece of tube to save a new tank.
Good luck.
Oldspanners, thanks a lot. Your rubber tube suggestion worked a treat and the tank is no longer leaking. Not sure what the MOT tester will say, but its sorted for now.

I actually found another thread on the site describing the same problem, so it is obviously a problem area.

R

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Oldspanners, thanks a lot. Your rubber tube suggestion worked a treat and the tank is no longer leaking. Not sure what the MOT tester will say, but its sorted for now.

I actually found another thread on the site describing the same problem, so it is obviously a problem area.

R
Well done, can't see a problem with the MOT as there is no leak, under no pressure and the hose clips are the same as on the filter etc.
Happy motoring.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom