1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W203 Replacement options

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by rpe2, Oct 27, 2012.

1. rpe2

rpe2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
    Morning,

It looks as though the 203 may have to go for a trivial reason - rear legroom (so if anyone is interested in a well cared for, non-rust bucket, leather trimmed, Comand installed car.... drop me a line), anyway...

My eldest (5) is on a booster type of seat and with me driving at 6' tall the legroom is limited and causing discomfort.

Having a look around at alternatives at the mo. The main stipulation is that it has to be modestly priced with decent rear legroom.

One of the best options appears to be the now defunct Saab 95. I suppose my main question is does anyone here have any good/ bad 1st hand experience?

I know that parts may be an issue in the long term but for service items I guess that pattern parts are available in the same way as any other car.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    The only experience that I have had was with the man next door to Lilian, their 9-3 was in for repair for 8 months of the year for 2 years till they got rid of it, and that was in Sweden, Saab dealers are more expensive than MB for service. I knew more about my 9000 ex than the dealer down here, is there nothing in the Volvo range that would fit the bill

3. Juddian

Juddian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
    A browse on Honestjohn's car reviews for the model in question should put you off, it did me.

Passat, or Superb which avoids the troublesome electric handbrake (of 07ish onwards) is probably the best for rear leg room, the latest Superb is cavernous but has been beaten soundly with the ugly stick, presumably not to rob VW/Audi badged versions of sales.

Older Lexus/BMW 7 series, or if too big consider bargain Koreans such as Sonata and Magentis, good cars if you look past the badge.

Considered a well cared for rust free late W210 and get it pro rustproofed?, room for a party in the back of those, still a lovely car.
    Would have suggested W211 but unless you find a facelift you have the SBS niggling away.

4. cleverdicky

cleverdicky Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB
  5. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 280k miles
    Ford Mondeo?? The one from 08 onwards is huge (bigger than passat, c class, etc), good looking, cheap to buy and very nice inside.

6. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
    Silly question - why can't 5 year old sit behind passenger - who can move seat forward to give little one some legroom?

7. lance1a

lance1a Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    Depends on the week.
    I have a 98 Saab 95....I love it (though I've just loaned it out) 98000 miles with leather and climate, all working. Great untill a Clancy Docra truck reversed into me and basically wrote it off, I bought it back and sorted it out.
    Drives really well, comfy, classy, quick and nice and torquey. Just watch out for manual versions with regard to the reverse gear as having to lock it in reverse can lead to premature gearbox issues that are very costly to fix. If it's notchy then walk away. Also bottom ends suffer with oil supply issues but a few have benn modded to correct. Mine has. Love it.

8. OP
    rpe2

rpe2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I have had a good read, most of the issues listed seem to apply to the early 9-5's, I'm looking at an 06 onwards model.. Thanks for the pointers on the other cars

Thanks buta 4x4 isn't on the list owing to thirst and other running costs..

Agreed, a Mondeo was my 1st choice but in a couple of years time. £ for £, the Saab seems to be cracking value

9. OP
    rpe2

rpe2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Not a silly question, I have swapped the seats over but my 2 yr old who is in a 'bucket' type seat is now merrily kicking the back of my seat.

10. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
    Memories - we had 7 years between our 2, so elder(son) got the seat behind Mum and lovely daughter was behind me - and got told off many a time for kicking Dad's back! Happened in all the cars we had over that period - CX Familial, BX estate, Volvo 740 estate, Range Rover, Rover 827 Vitesse. Only one where I didn'g get my back kicked was my 968 coupe - the rear seats are small and so little ones did not need a booster seat etc, although you can get a bucket seat for very little ones!!

11. OP
    rpe2

rpe2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Probably, but like Saab's I know diddly squat about them and what the potential pitfalls are.

12. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    There are 2 Volvo forums, not the atmosphere that you have here, but good for most questions, I only needed to go on there once with an ABS pump fault and got the fix

13. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    E Class, Audi A6, BMW 5, Mondeo (huge), Passat