W204 C350 CDI modification & maintenance advice needed please :)

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Good morning all,

I hope you're well.

I've recently taken ownership of my first Mercedes, a 2009 C350 CDI Sport. She's just crossed 61k miles, so, fairly low mileage!

I'm looking for some advice for classy modifications and best service intervals on the OM642.

I'd like to lower the car slightly, but I'm not sure how much by, does anyone have any experience with lowering a W204 C350 CDI?

I'd also like to change the wheels, as they're looking a bit dated and rough around the edges, the ones currently on the car are 17s, I'd like to move up to 18s. Any good rim recommendations would be appreciated!

I have changed the grill already, within the first week of ownership, from the misted chrome slatted factory grill, to an all black sportier one, which I think looks a hell of a lot better.

I've also added a black spoiler lip to the back, which makes it look a little bit sportier.

I'd like to change the rear diffuser to something more sporty, does anyone have any links to good products? I have looked into some gloss black C63 ones, does anyone else think it looks a bit weird with the dual tailpipes?

Also, any advice on the exhaust? I can only find C63 style back box replacements, and I don't really want to pose as a C63 hahah.

I'd like to make it a bit faster, what are people's experiences with tuning their C350 CDI's, do they respond well in terms of engine life expectancy? What's better, a dyno tune or a D6 III Brabus box?

Finally, I'd like to know what kind of service intervals people are using? The car is mainly driven to and from work, an hour each way, every day, so the engine isn't changing temps super quickly, and I always wait for the engine's idle to drop before setting off. The car came with full Merc service history from 2009 to around 2020 ish, which is a bonus, so I know its been looked after, services done by an indie during 2nd ownership and I'm hoping to do the services myself going forward, so that I know its been done to a high standard and also it's a hell of a lot cheaper with the amount of miles I do hahah.

Any other modification ideas or advice on maintenance would be greatly appreciated, I've included pictures of the current state of the car below for reference.

Polite criticism is welcome hahah.

merc.jpg merc2.jpg mer3.jpg merc4.jpg

Many thanks,

Jack

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hi and welcome

I have a 2010 C350CDi Sport Wagon, it was mapped by @GAD Tuning LTD 7 years ago, turns a fast car into a very fast car particularly in gear, been brilliant ever since.

Servicing wise I keep to the standard yearly intervals and have maintained the 2 yearly Brake fluid changes and 4 yearly gearbox services, I also change the air filters every 2 years as they do get clogged.

Wheels wise 18" is no problem, mine came with 18" as standard, these would be OEM fitment, it is a staggered set up so 7.5" wide front and 8" wide rear fitted with 225/40 R18" front and 255/35 R18" rear tyres

I have de-badged mine and removed the chrome strips from the doors wrapped the chrome above the number plate and round the front fog lights and had the wheels refurbed in black

20190215_113531.jpg 20190821_193050.jpg

IMG_20180217_153044_578.jpg
I know someone that has put a C63 twin pipe exhaust on his, IMO as it already has twin pipes that distinguish it there is no need but it can be done, I also sprayed my diffuser black as it had faded.

Lowering wise H&R do a spring kit for it but it is already 15mm lower than the standard car so speed bumps can become a problem, the kit lowers 40mm so an extra 25mm from where it is now, the part No is 29075-1.

I would put new wheels on first then decide if you want to lower it

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
If you want to avoid the boy racer look, I would avoid lowering the suspension, the wheel change would use up some of the wheel gap anyway and a lowered suspension would interfere with ride quality.

My advice would be to always keep in mind you are modifying a Mercedes Benz, a dignified powerful car, rather than a Ford Focus and you should not go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Hi and welcome

I have a 2010 C350CDi Sport Wagon, it was mapped by @GAD Tuning LTD 7 years ago, turns a fast car into a very fast car particularly in gear, been brilliant ever since.

Servicing wise I keep to the standard yearly intervals and have maintained the 2 yearly Brake fluid changes and 4 yearly gearbox services, I also change the air filters every 2 years as they do get clogged.

Wheels wise 18" is no problem, mine came with 18" as standard, these would be OEM fitment, it is a staggered set up so 7.5" wide front and 8" wide rear fitted with 225/40 R18" front and 255/35 R18" rear tyres

I have de-badged mine and removed the chrome strips from the doors wrapped the chrome above the number plate and round the front fog lights and had the wheels refurbed in black

View attachment 88874 View attachment 88875

View attachment 88876
I know someone that has put a C63 twin pipe exhaust on his, IMO as it already has twin pipes that distinguish it there is no need but it can be done, I also sprayed my diffuser black as it had faded.

Lowering wise H&R do a spring kit for it but it is already 15mm lower than the standard car so speed bumps can become a problem, the kit lowers 40mm so an extra 25mm from where it is now, the part No is 29075-1.

I would put new wheels on first then decide if you want to lower it
Ooof, nice car mate, I do love the wagons! :)

Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated!

You're right, rims first I reckon, also the fact my current tyres are on their way out, that'd work out quite nicely!

Are your rims the AMG 18s?

Cheers,

Jack

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
If you want to avoid the boy racer look, I would avoid lowering the suspension, the wheel change would use up some of the wheel gap anyway and a lowered suspension would interfere with ride quality.

My advice would be to always keep in mind you are modifying a Mercedes Benz, a dignified powerful car, rather than a Ford Focus and you should not go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
I completely agree, I'm not going for the boy racer look, just subtle sporty mods, that make the car look a bit nicer.

I guess I'll probably get some 18"s first, and go from there, as you said, bigger wheels should fill out the arches a bit better :)

Cheers,

Jack

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI

Also, in regards to your comment above that I've coloured in blue & underlined; does this only apply to the cars with the advanced agility pack (sport mode button) with adjustable dampening or is it all C350 CDI Sports? As mine does not have have the sport button, sadly!

Cheers,

Jack

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ooof, nice car mate, I do love the wagons! :)

Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated!

You're right, rims first I reckon, also the fact my current tyres are on their way out, that'd work out quite nicely!

Are your rims the AMG 18s?

Cheers,

Jack

Yes, they are the prefacelift 18" wheels, the ones I posted are the post facelift '12> wheels

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also, in regards to your comment above that I've coloured in blue & underlined; does this only apply to the cars with the advanced agility pack (sport mode button) with adjustable dampening or is it all C350 CDI Sports? As mine does not have have the sport button, sadly!

Cheers,

Jack

All the "Sport" cars have the same suspension which is 15mm lower than the Elegance etc spec cars. Not sure what the Agility pack is?

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
All the "Sport" cars have the same suspension which is 15mm lower than the Elegance etc spec cars. Not sure what the Agility pack is?
Ahhh I see! The 'advanced agility pack' for the W204 was an option which makes the suspension 'sportier' by use of a Sport button in the centre console, under the climate control unit, it tightens up the hydraulic dampeners in the shocks I believe, it may have also weighted the steering slightly, I can't remember off the top of my head.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ahhh I see! The 'advanced agility pack' for the W204 was an option which makes the suspension 'sportier' by use of a Sport button in the centre console, under the climate control unit, it tightens up the hydraulic dampeners in the shocks I believe, it may have also weighted the steering slightly, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Never seen it on a W204, must be a VERY rare option, given MB history with suspension I am glad I don't have it

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see! They're lovely, I'll have to keep an eye out for some

Need a refurb but you can do them to your tast

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Never seen it on a W204, must be a VERY rare option, given MB history with suspension I am glad I don't have it
We have seen a few and your right, they are always in for damper issues and they are £££.

Also to echo the above. Definitely go for some tuning via a remap vs a tuning box

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
As for service intervals, many will know where I stand. Every 5,000 miles oil and all filters, plus a through check over all items like hoses etc. I put a bottle forte diesel injector cleaner in every other tankful and only ever run all my cars on shell vpower. Once a car is mapped good, diligent maintenance becomes even more crucial.

All this 10/20k service interval is total bollox to provide imbeciles with the illusion of cheaper running costs. Absolute shag knackers by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Need a refurb but you can do them to your tast

Mate, you're a star! £300 isn't bad at all! Thank you!

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
We have seen a few and your right, they are always in for damper issues and they are £££.

Also to echo the above. Definitely go for some tuning via a remap vs a tuning box
Yeah, I had an option to buy one with the 'Advanced agility pack' and one of the reasons I didn't was due to the fact that suspension parts will be way more expensive! Thanks for your input, duly noted :)

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
As for service intervals, many will know where I stand. Every 5,000 miles oil and all filters, plus a through check over all items like hoses etc. I put a bottle forte diesel injector cleaner in every other tankful and only ever run all my cars on shell vpower. Once a car is mapped good, diligent maintenance becomes even more crucial.

All this 10/20k service interval is total bollox to provide imbeciles with the illusion of cheaper running costs. Absolute shag knackers by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your advice on this! Yeah exactly that, I'm wanting to do the servicing myself, so that I can do it when I want, instead of having to book it in and pay £120 in labour every couple of months hahah

Reactions: DSK

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, nice motor! You've made a good start on mods, grill and spoiler look great. As for wheels, what about 19s, they would look Awesome. A nice set of Silver 5 spokes look good on any car. And lowered about 30mm. :)
These will give you an idea, 5 spoke 19s and lowered.

20240314_081746.jpg

20240314_081706.jpg

OP
Jack_M

Jack_M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2009 C350 CDI
Welcome, nice motor! You've made a good start on mods, grill and spoiler look great. As for wheels, what about 19s, they would look Awesome. A nice set of Silver 5 spokes look good on any car. And lowered about 30mm. :)
These will give you an idea, 5 spoke 19s and lowered.

View attachment 88881

View attachment 88882
Woah, now that does look ****** lovely!

The only thing is, I'd assume you'd lose a lot of the comfort aspect of driving, due to smaller sidewalls? Or is it not a noticeable difference?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom