W208 Parktronic Sensors

Unit504

Reaction score
can anyone help me with my Parktronic on a 1998 230k Cab.

the prob is that it works sometimes
but most of the other times it just lights up the end two red bars!!!
and goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! arrrrrrrr :S

is there anyone out there that can offer me help on this please :)

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Unit504 said:
can anyone help me with my Parktronic on a 1998 230k Cab.

the prob is that it works sometimes
but most of the other times it just lights up the end two red bars!!!
and goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! arrrrrrrr :S

is there anyone out there that can offer me help on this please :)

Sounds like you have a faulty sensor in one or more of them. Firstly I would give them all a good clean and if that doesnt fix it, then disconnect them one at a time to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you've found the faulty sensor!

Jonny2tanx

Reaction score
Disconnecting one of the sensors doesnt appear to help. The Parktronic on my last car, a C220cdi had exactly the same fault - two red bars and an annoying beep, which indicates a fault in the system. I had the fault diagnosed as 2 faulty sensors, so, being a tight Yorkshireman, I thought, well I have 4 more on the same bumper, I'll just rely on them. I disconnected the 2 that were diagnosed as faulty, and still had the 2 red bars and the annoying beep. Either the independent garage got the diagnosis wrong, or disconnecting the faulty ones doesnt work. Do what I did, remove the fuse to do away with the lights and the beep, and park CAREFULLY.

nga

Reaction score
Hi,

I now have the same problem with my 1998 W210 E280: the two red leds of the parktronic indicaters light up and it beeps... They were ok last night but are faulty this morning.

Do you have any more information on this? What is causing the malfunstion?

Thanks,

nga

Last edited:
W

Walter

Dang, the Sensor Bug has got my '03 E320 Estate too - just recently, the two pairs of red led's at either end of the front screen display have been coming on for no reason, a few seconds after morning ignition.

They soon go off though, and all seems fine until we stop at the first junction - then up come the lights again and also a short 'beeeeep'. Pull away and it all returns to normal. Nothing at the next junction, then hey presto here we go again at the 3rd one. Then it stays away all day. But the next day, same again.

Brilliant. Nothing I love better than an intermittent fault to have to explain / demonstrate to a sceptical Mercedes technician! OK, so many of them are not that bad in fairness, but you know what I mean...

Seriously, does anyone know how easily/cheaply this can be cured? It seems a few of us have been experiencing similar, if not identical, faults. My sensor system seems to work perfectly in every other respect, and I've suffered no impact damage that I'm aware of. Although the wife is the main driver....

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I've had mine do this twice. The first was just plain odd - but I put it down to being in traffic and maybe it was picking up someone elses sensor and the second time was a squashed fly on a sensor. Scraped it off and all has been well since.
Bottom line is that the system isn't happy with the signals it receives. those sensors must take a battering being on the front of the bumper and being hit by the rain, salt, snow etc all year round. It's hardly surprising they go awol after a number of years. I'd get a diag done and just replace the faulty sensor. I don't know how much they are, but MB can surprise you sometimes so it's worth an ask.

Try ebay too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BENZ...ryZ61523QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-Park...ryZ61523QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Jberks, get a diagnostic test done. Many things can cause this problem. Also with Star D they can check the distance setting. Sometimes this setting goes awry, however if the setting is wrong it would not be an intermittent problem.

MOB

Reaction score
I had problem on parktronic on latest car I bought from local indy. but deal was he would fix, he needed to bring car to MB to have diag. run this indicated front sensor faulty, He got new sensor, fitted in his garage but system still not working, after a couple of phones calls to MB his mechanic traced the wiring of each sensor and found faults ( he didn't tell me exact faults) just it was something on wiring loom, this took 3 hours work. But moral be afraid of what diag. tell you as it may not be so, I would hate to think what this would have cost in a MB garage!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is a known fault, since my computer crash,it will be a few days before i can tell you, i do know that it has to be done on a diagnosis set, and i think the module has to be replaced.

Malcolm

nga

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. My car (a 1998 W210 E280) stays outside most of the time and I can now associate the problem with rain. If it rains, I'll have the problem, which will vanish and then come again randomly. If the weather is dry, it's fine... I didn't check it with MB, though.

Regards,

nga

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. My car (a 1998 W210 E280) stays outside most of the time and I can now associate the problem with rain. If it rains, I'll have the problem, which will vanish and then come again randomly. If the weather is dry, it's fine... I didn't check it with MB, though.

Regards,

nga

See what I can find, may need 6 VIN numbers

Malcolm

Top Bottom