W209 steering column issue

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
Hi All,
A friend of mine has an issue with his W209. The steering cowel behind the steering wheel is loose and rotates a good few degrees in both directions. When you operate the indicator stalk, the whole assemble moves with it.

I took the wheel off and the main module unit to reveal the upper part of the steering column.
With all this removed, I found that the metal fitting (that sits right at the top of the shaft) rotates by hand (whilst the shaft remain stationary). I couldn't see a way of tightening this piece in anyway. To me, it should be tight, with no movement at all.

Anyone know why this bit would be moving?

I fear it will need a new steering shaft.
Has anyone here come across this before?

Thanks,
shr.

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Can you add a small self tapper to the side to see if re-securing it changes the issue?

OP
M

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
Thanks for the reply.

You mean to act as a wedge to stop it rotating? I had thought of that but a bit uncomfortable with botching a solution.

I'll have another look at the car during the week to see if I can see why it's moving.
Just wondering how it's locked in place when the actual shaft was assembled in the factory.

OP
M

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
I've attached a pic of the part that's moving.

Anyone come across this before?

Attachments

• steering fitting.JPG
    steering fitting.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 33

Arnie

Reaction score
Looks like the metal band may have been forced at some stage and come loose. you could try one of the following:

1.) degrease the area with a suitable solvent and then try to wick in some superglue between the steering column tube and the band. There are also some Loctite products which may be better for this.

2.) if the band is made of cast aluminium, it may be possible to peen it tight on to the steering column tube with a centre-punch applied in, say, 3 places around the circumference.

3.) drill and tap one or two M5 screws into the band, possibly going slightly through the steel tube to prevent rotation, rather than just clamping.

I'd probably go for No.3

OP
M

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
I know what you mean and had thought along these lines. Just feels like a botch, and that bothers me.

I've have a look later in the week when I get the car back.
Just think I'll find it too un-nerving to use a power drill on the steering shaft!!

Arnie

Reaction score
The bracket was probably pressed or swaged on to the column. If it's come loose because it's probably been stressed.. Drilling would be drilling only the bracket and outer tube, and not the internal shaft, so i see no issues in that and would result in a better engineering fix than the original, which is a design for mass-production. You'd need to use a pillar drill and first mark the drilling spot with a centre punch. Start with a smaller holse size an work up. For an M5 screw, the hole size need only be 4.5mm.

Otherwise, if you can find or manufacture two blocks with slightly less than semi-circular cut-outs matching the bracket OD, then you could use these in a press to compress (swage) the bracket back on to the column outer tube.

Adhesives can work quite well too because there is a large contact area and the joint will only be subject to shear stress.

I think other than replacing with new, there are not too many repair options.

OP
M

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
I've got the car with me right now.
The shaft in the picture above is different to the actual shaft.

I've uploaded a video so you can see which bit spins.

Do you think some adhesive around the rear of the collar would work?

Arnie

Reaction score
can't view video - says it's 'private'

However, there are some super-strong structural epoxy adhesives available, which if applied correctly, will be as strong as metal.

OP
M

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
Apologies about the video, I've made it public now.

So you think some metal glue would do the job? It there a particular product you could recommend?

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Really old post but I’ll reply in case anyone searches for a fix! I recently had this with my CLK. W203 is the same.

Disconnect battery & leave for 1/2 hour (airbag), remove steering wheel, remove clock spring, remove plastic squib with stalks (easy - loosen T30 bolt from hole underneath and pull off complete with stalks).

Centre the column sleeve into correct position & mark with a pen. Squeeze liquid superglue between the inner & outer sleeve at the back of the column. I also put gorilla superglue gel over the join to be sure.

Attachments

• IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Some people have drilled holes, tapped for screws etc. I don’t think it’s necessary. It’s held for a few weeks now & I don’t see it moving again.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom