W210 2001 - Recommended Code Scan & Reset Tool please?

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDi Avantgarde Estate 2002
Apologies if this has been answered before. :Oops::Oops:

Can anyone please let me know which (if any) reasonably-priced tool available on ebay can read and also reset more than just engine codes?

I've got a generic OBD-II scanner (ELM327 with ProScan 5.9) but not tried it on my Merc yet, and I have gearchange problems.

Thanks for your patience in responding to my dumb questions again. :mrgreen:

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
I picked up the one for just over a tenner and it works (ie any will do). You might have the connector under the dash (driver side), otherwise you'll need the 16-pin to 38-pin adapter (around a fiver on ebay) to hook up from the fuse box in the engine bay.

Now, this is all ok for the basic stuff (engine codes). Your ELM327 should work too (KWP2000 is what mine uses as protocol). If you want live data, transmission codes, etc the scanners get dearer.

What's up with the gear changes anyway?

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi BD,

Thanks for the info ref KWP2000 but think I need a better tool that can read and reset other codes like gearbox and SRS etc too since I only want to buy one tool?

So any advice as to which tool to get is very much appreciated?

My car (auto) goes into limp mode as soon as it changes up from 3rd to 4th gear. The revs flare up until 4th engages, and then there is no power, max revs 3000, and no kickdown.

I fitted the EGR shunt thinking that might be the cause of Limp mode, but that didn't prevent this problem as I had expected, so now I need to read out the codes to try to trace the fault.

Suspicion: would old gearbox oil cause this problem, has anyone experienced this?

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It changes past 3rd once it warms up. So is it driving ok when cold and then limp mode the moment it warms up? The 722.6 tranny does suffer these issues because of oil problems. The list is quite extensive, including oil travelling up the wire loom and flooding the TCU. The limp mode is a soft one (ie resets when you restart) so there is hope.

How many miles on the clock? Has the tranny been serviced? Have you checked the oil level and condition? This should be the starting point.

The scan tool - can't help with a specific model. But I'd chase the basics on the tranny first and post with an apt heading. If any of the basics provide a clear pointer, you might not even need a full scan. On the other hand, a STAR readout would give you a comprehensive view, albeit for about sixty quid + vat.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi BD,

Many thanks for this info.

Yes the car is fine until I let it change up to 4th, then it limps even when it's cold.

If I accelerate gently then it is OK until I accelerate rapidly into 4th, then it limps.

I think it's not had a tranny service. I've owned it for just over a year now and it was smoking and limping from the beginning, it's been very badly treated and lots of small problems never fixed.

The mileage is 156k.

The gearbox oil level is fine but the flare is probably telling me the oil needs changing, I had this symptom on my Volvo V70 and the oil change did the trick with the flare & jerky gearchaging on that car. At least the V70 didn't go into limp mode.

So I will go through the basics as you suggest, and probably best to get the codes read out first anyway so at least I know the probable cause/area.

Much appreciated.

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brief update...

I had the codes read out and reset today.

There were dozens.

The gearbox-relevant ones were "implausible gear", something like "unexpected gear ratio", and slippage from 4th to 5th gear and 1st to 2nd gear.

The probable cause list included "low gearbox oil level" and "reset adaptations".

So we also reset the adaptations.

The car has been changing gear fine since, at about the revs I expected, no more surges, all power is there, kickdown is fine through all the gears and up and down changes are all good, with no more "flare".

But it's only been a few miles since it was done, so my next immediate task is to change the gearbox oil and filter.

Thanks everyone.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Great news to hear you solved your problems. :)
Any chance of letting us know what tool you found best to use in the end.
Especially to get codes read out and reset
tks

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks but I'm still not certain it's fixed, it's been too soon. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

I wasn't able to find out which tool still, I would like one which can reset other stuff and not just engine codes if possible and not too expensive.

Luckily there was a mobile Merc mechanic working nearby who kindly agreed to read & reset my codes & reset the adaptations.

My ELM327's cable won't fit the plug under the bonnet in the fuse box which he used, his cable has a hulking great hubble-type aluminium connector on it.

Last edited:

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Does anyone know if the ELM327 with the 16-pin to 38-pin adapter will work on a 99 W202 C180 for basic code reading?

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For the adapter, see this above;
I picked up the one for just over a tenner and it works (ie any will do). You might have the connector under the dash (driver side), otherwise you'll need the 16-pin to 38-pin adapter (around a fiver on ebay) to hook up from the fuse box in the engine bay.

Now, this is all ok for the basic stuff (engine codes). Your ELM327 should work too (KWP2000 is what mine uses as protocol). If you want live data, transmission codes, etc the scanners get dearer.

What's up with the gear changes anyway?

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
For the adapter, see this above;

I've read elsewhere that even with a 38 to 16 pin adapter, the ELM327, or any other basic OBD2 code reader, will not work on pre-2001 Mercs (the year that OBD2 became compulsory for petrol engined cars). Mine is a 1999 model W202 C180 so I assume it won't work; just wondered if anyone has actually tried on this model and year and can confirm one way or the other?

Last edited:
OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah, I can't answer that, maybe someone else can for you?

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've read elsewhere that even with a 38 to 16 pin adapter, the ELM327, or any other basic OBD2 code reader, will not work on pre-2001 Mercs (the year that OBD2 became compulsory for petrol engined cars). Mine is a 1999 model W202 C180 so I assume it won't work; just wondered if anyone has actually tried on this model and year and can confirm one way or the other?

Mine is a 2000 w210 and doesn't have a 16-pin. W210s (since 1996) are all OBD2 compliant - but the 16-pin under-the-dash connector wasn't used as a standard in Europe until 2001. I think the same would apply to the C180.

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Maybe I'll just have to buy a cable and see if it works.

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Been looking at cables and various pin-outs. They vary from this one which has 11 wires:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38-Pin-to...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0db2fc43

to others that only have 3 wires (pins 1,3, and 7 or sometimes 4 of the 38-pin mercedes connector) connected.

Has anybody got this to work and can advise please? Do I need to just connect Ground and power and a floating lead to join the OBD2 K-Line to the various module pins on the Merc connector? I read also that I need pin 15 to 15 connected but with US and European models differing I don't know for sure which is correct or even if it will work at all with an OBD2 scanner or ELM327?

OP
J

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not very helpful are they, those who have the same car as you and have the test gear?! ;)

Must be the heatwave, maybe you'll hear from them when winter approaches and they have to sit indoors in front of the coal fire roasting their chestnuts! :D

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I did get a PM to say that someone tried the 38 to 16 pin converter plus the ELM327 chip but never managed to get it working. I think pre-2001 you are stuck with STAR for reading anything.

holbay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Cdi estate. 2004
Jump onto ebay and buy the cheapest Snap-on ethos scanner with MB-1 adapter for the personality keys i can look them up for you. Thats what i started with but just recently upgraded to the Snap-on Solus ultra and they both work brill with my W210 300Td 1998. And if you get good with the Ethos you can charge your mates for diagnosing there cars.. George.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Jump onto ebay and buy the cheapest Snap-on ethos scanner with MB-1 adapter for the personality keys i can look them up for you. Thats what i started with but just recently upgraded to the Snap-on Solus ultra and they both work brill with my W210 300Td 1998. And if you get good with the Ethos you can charge your mates for diagnosing there cars.. George.

Wow that Snap-on scanner you have upgraded to looks the business..
I have a friend who is a Snap-on mobile dealer...
Mmmm silly thoughts are starting...:)

Top Bottom