w210 'display defective' 'BAS+ABS+ESP' warnings 'stuck in one gear'

OP
B

btusulu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 2000 2.8v6
not sure if they replace the connector when the fluid service was done or not... left the car back home and i am now on work travel. will dig to the bottom of this matter in 3 weeks time.

story goes like this: i tested out my home made dip stick on my brother's e200k few weeks ago... when i started to doubt the mb fluid service was done correctly or not on mine. The fluid level was roughly 70mm from pan bottom (80 degrees but engine off). reason i did it with the engine off was because, i had sent it to the same mb tech for confirmation if i need fluid service. he checked it with presumably the mb dipstick with the engine off and told me everything is in order. i figured i should check mine using the same method. when i came back home and did the same to mine, it was like not even 50mm from pan bottom... i wasn't too sure since my homemade dipstick was like a bit too short when used on my e280... will make a longer dipstick and try again.

now i will have 'murder' in my eyes if i ever find out the stupid idiot did not put enough fluid back in 4 months ago.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
not sure if they replace the connector when the fluid service was done or not... left the car back home and i am now on work travel. will dig to the bottom of this matter in 3 weeks time.

story goes like this: i tested out my home made dip stick on my brother's e200k few weeks ago... when i started to doubt the mb fluid service was done correctly or not on mine. The fluid level was roughly 70mm from pan bottom (80 degrees but engine off). reason i did it with the engine off was because, i had sent it to the same mb tech for confirmation if i need fluid service. he checked it with presumably the mb dipstick with the engine off and told me everything is in order. i figured i should check mine using the same method. when i came back home and did the same to mine, it was like not even 50mm from pan bottom... i wasn't too sure since my homemade dipstick was like a bit too short when used on my e280... will make a longer dipstick and try again.

now i will have 'murder' in my eyes if i ever find out the stupid idiot did not put enough fluid back in 4 months ago.

I think you have at least 2 seperate issues here -the fluid level and low voltage issue ?it should be fine whe these are sorted out good luck with it ==many years since I crossed the bridge to JB -all the best with it Teddy.

OP
B

btusulu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 2000 2.8v6
gentlemen,

conclusion as of today:
-checked the tranny fluid level with a flexible plumber 'snake' and the level is approximately 75mm from pan bottom. so far, tranny shifts fine.
-had not experience any malfunction since i inserted the loose connector (within the ecu box) fully.

congratulations to myself and a million thanks to all the super helpful 'sifu'. thank you. thank you, thank you.

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
Get the oil seeping into the transmission TCU sorted at some stage soon..

Keep enjoying the car.

Matt.ff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210/01/v6

w210 'display defective' 'BAS+ABS+ESP' warnings 'stuck in one gear'​

This is a past post but I encountered exactly same issue as heading above.

Starting the engine yesterday, looks it paused for 1/2 second before cranking.
Display Defective, then bip bip bip... ESP warning (then turn the steering wheel leftest & rightest a few times for reset, in vain)
Try Gear P to D, stuck and cannot move (use screw driver help below D to release the mechanical protection)
Can move now, but looks it is limp-home mode, (speed, revolution at speedometer, all zero, keep warning error, bip bip bip)
Driving slow back to garage, then read Mercedes Ben Forum, found this post.

Today, use multimeter to test Washer Fluid Level Sensor (OEM Hella is 170 Ohm), mine is 180+ Ohm), looks it is normal but dunno if it was failed running yesterday. I check the Coolant Reservior Tank (wow, looks a bit dry out) but cannot test the Coolant Level Sensor undernealth (no bolt, wrench on hands).

Now, the Display Defective is gone, BAS/ESP warning is gone.
No malfunction after
(1) replacing the (after-market Febi) Washer Fluid Level Sensor,
(2) adding 3/4 OEM Blue Color Mercedes Coolant to Reservior Tank.

Nevertheless, the issue is going to shifting gear, it keeps limp-home mode.
(1) starting engine, it paused for 1/4 to 1/2 second before crank
(2) shifting P to D, it is ok (no stuck), but very chokky mechanically
(3) keep limp-home mode, no shifting gear.
(4) at gas station, I switching off engine at Gear N for gas filling. Then restart engine, shifing N to D (no stuck) but it looks like keeping gear N. I need to switch off the engine again, shift N to P. Then restart again (paused for 1/4 second b4 cranking), shifting P to D, it works and run but keep lim-home mode to garage.

Now, further diagnosis and expert advice required, let me know if you experienced the similar.

I'll check transmission oil tomorrow (I guess it has been 2-3 years having change), if required, can do this oil change with the elecroinic plate inside the oil chamber and the plug. However, if it is due to the failure of Transmission Control Unit, I fainted.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom