W211 E class estate 270D....rear wiper

Al Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate 2017 E270 cdi estate 2006
Hello folks
My 2006 E class estate has developed a fault on the rear wipers.
Having stopped mid sweep ,I cannot reposition it.
It doesn't work when in conjunction with the main wipers and reverse gear nor when the switch is activated....the red indicator light on the switch sometimes illuminates for a split second.
The washer unit works ,no problem.
Can anyone confirm the position of the fuse and relay for the system on this estate as I have no wiring /fuse drawings for this car.I know the fuses are in the rear n/side and under the front right of the bonnet but no idea of identification for them.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Alan

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could be a broken wire in the hinge mechanism. Or water in the wiper mechanism/motor.

OP
A

Al Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could be a broken wire in the hinge mechanism. Or water in the wiper mechanism/motor.
Thanx for that Blobcat.....before I start to dismantle, I would like to check the fuse and relay...have found with other mercs I've had that the relay can come loose in its' fitting so before I start the wrecking process of removing panels etc would love to find the actual fuse diagram for my car....there seem to be so many varieties even for this model and year...or am i getting confused in the lockdown???Why there isn't one fixed to the vehicle ,I have no idea.
regards
Alan

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Try turning wiper on, getting hold of arm and jar it back and forth in direction of sweep.

OP
A

Al Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try turning wiper on, getting hold of arm and jar it back and forth in direction of sweep.
hello Star
Thanx for the suggestion ....tried it and have moved the arm, in fact with my assistance I can get the arm to perform full sweeps back and forth.As soon as I stop assisting ,it stops in that position ie anywhere on its' arc.
Is that a sign of a motor problem rather than fuse/relay.....or am I getting ahead of myself?.I do note that the red light on the dash switch is not illuminating except for the odd split second.
If you have further thoughts ,they would be appreciated.
Regards
Alan

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Motor is faulty.

OP
A

Al Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I removed the motor with its"grommet" and took it to my local engineer.The shaft was not moving inside the rubber seal so he had to split that to release it....now taking the back casing off he found the shaft was also not moving due to rusting( and I do give it wd40 fairly regularly).
Now he has freed it all up, the motor is moving freely and has been reinstalled with the original grommet which I have wrapped in tape to seal the cut.
Not sure if WD40 is the correct lubricant for this item, perhaps a heavy duty grease would be better suited to seal the shaft in its' housing, but Stars diagnosis was spot on.....no problem with fuses or relays, just the shaft seizing up and stopping the motor operating. The red light on the dash switch now operates when the wiper is operating which will help diagnosis if this happens in the future.
Many thanks to all contributers to my original problem....great forum!!
regards
Alan

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wd40 is too light a lube and dries out. As above is needed.

Top Bottom