W211 e320 alternator driving me nuts

jamesr181

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class/2004/E320
Need help guys. W211 e320 2004. Changed alternator as had fault codes for alternator. Started up, got 14.1v running but still getting red battery symbol on dash intermittently. When idling the red battery symbol pops up and convenience disabled, leave running then convenience enabled. All this while the voltage is saying 14.1v

Any ideas? The alternator is a recon from a very good place by me.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Check the voltages on both your main battery in the boot and the aux battery under the pollen filter.
Both should be reading 12.6v+ fully charged. If not, get them charged and see if the red warning disappears.

68151.jpg

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
How old is the battery? Just swapped mine, because although the car always started, I was getting convenience function warning every day. Also, how is the auxiliary battery? That used to give me a red warning when it was fading

OP
J

jamesr181

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class/2004/E320
Check the voltages on both your main battery in the boot and the aux battery under the pollen filter.
Both should be reading 12.6v+ fully charged. If not, get them charged and see if the red warning disappears.

View attachment 82844
Already checked both mate, both are at good levels. It's very intermittent, I've got a bcm and a k57 relay coming. Going to try that and see if that does it. The fact that I've got correct charging voltage at the batteries is what's confusing me.

OP
J

jamesr181

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class/2004/E320
How old is the battery? Just swapped mine, because although the car always started, I was getting convenience function warning every day. Also, how is the auxiliary battery? That used to give me a red warning when it was fading
Both batteries are approx 2 yrs old. Front is an exide and the rear is Varta AGM.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Is the charging system controlled by the ecu / lin system ?.
I see lots of posts on a Jeep forum I frequent ( Grand Cherokees like mine have the Mercedes om642 with the Lin system ) and most of the alternator posts are like yours with the alternator charging ok but dash warning light still on.
The reason for this is the new alternators these owners fit have an incorrect voltage regulator that does not function with the Lin system , basically the ecu cannot communicate with the alternator regulator so the warning light stays on.

tpn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 OM651 2012, Daimler V8 250 X 3
I see lots of posts on a Jeep forum I frequent ( Grand Cherokees like mine have the Mercedes om642 with the Lin system ) and most of the alternator posts are like yours with the alternator charging ok but dash warning light still on.
The reason for this is the new alternators these owners fit have an incorrect voltage regulator that does not function with the Lin system , basically the ecu cannot communicate with the alternator regulator so the warning light stays on.
That is probably the problem. A family member got a recon alternator on his BMW X5 and is experiencing the exact same problem. He is getting the old alternator rebuilt

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Makers try to direct one to origional type alt.

OP
J

jamesr181

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class/2004/E320
Hmmmm, that's not too bad a shout mate.

OP
J

jamesr181

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class/2004/E320
Right guys. Both batteries are showing 14.1v while the car is running on the multimeter and on the icarsoft. Both batteries are fairly recent and in good order.
Got a k57/2 relay and bcm just in case and the problem still persists. Albeit still intermittently where I get red battery symbol and conveniences disabled and after a short time the conveniences come back. All while car is still 14.1v. Am I right in thinking it's more than likely the voltage regulator?
I'm struggling beyond that.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom