W211 estate. 2006 137,000 miles. Rear light/stop light warninngs & key fob issues.

silverdart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 e270cdi 7 seater estate
Help please with a dual electrical problem that may be connected?!

Firstly car is only used on long journeys & not very often.

Last October noticed that warning on dash reporting there were faults with (back up) brake/tail lamp both right & left. Took it to our trusty indi who investigated:

"faults found with LED circuit boards. Cleaned terminals & tested, all working ok with no warning on dash, if faults return new lamp units will be required"

On collecting the car and starting the faults were back again! Mechanic had another look and indicated that I would need 2 new rear units at over £200 each! Decided to live with it as pressing the down button 4 times will bring back the mileage symbol. On switching ignition off it shows 6 faults on dash. On rare occasions no fault will show when starting. Both batteries were replaced with MB batteries over last 2 years. Car alwayys starts first pop. I'm planning on asking garage to have another look & any suggestions from you guys would be super helpful.

2nd issue is our 2 key fobs...mine & my wife's. Both have new batteries & each will open & close doors on every occasion. If I put my wife's key in the ignitiion after car has been left for some time it's completely dead & will not turn. I put my key in & it works perfectly. After 10 minutes of driving I can stop & change keys & her's works with no problems every time. My initial thoughts were main batteries but they are both fine. Might her key fob be faulty or need updating remembering it has new batteries which I understand are only needed to open/close doors etc.
Finally is there any connection with the rear light problem in your expert opinions?
Even indies charge £££ for their time so yet again any suggestions would be great.
Thanks again

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Forum member Johnny SBC fixes keys fobs and related stuff buddy . May be able to advise you on next steps ?

OP
S

silverdart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forum member Johnny SBC fixes keys fobs and related stuff buddy . May be able to advise you on next steps ?

Thanks for info...no ideas on lights etc?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are some good MB Indys around if you update the area you live in under your username , members will be able to recommend someone

OP
S

silverdart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are some good MB Indys around if you update the area you live in under your username , members will be able to recommend someone

Thanks Wighty..we live in London but use indie near our daughter in Poole who has been great. My gut feeling with lights with all the electrical gremlins with the W211...changing both bulb holders is bit like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. All the lights are working 100%. Come November will need them sorted for MOT. Thanks again

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Wighty..we live in London but use indie near our daughter in Poole who has been great. My gut feeling with lights with all the electrical gremlins with the W211...changing both bulb holders is bit like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. All the lights are working 100%. Come November will need them sorted for MOT. Thanks again
What about second hand light units from eBay , Dronsfields ? As a cheaper fix .

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom