W211 front end knocks and bangs over bumps? Help please

solidamber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 2009 350d
What about sway bar links? That has come up several times on a Google search.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What about sway bar links? That has come up several times on a Google search.

Op mentions "suspension joints" which pretty much covers all all arms, links etc?

solidamber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 2009 350d
So which should I change first? There is no exesive play evident, the noise is only on slightly rough roads, but is annoying to me as the car always drove silky smooth.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
So which should I change first? There is no exesive play evident, the noise is only on slightly rough roads, but is annoying to me as the car always drove silky smooth.

Disconnect the drop links and drive it, that will eliminate them

solidamber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 2009 350d
sway bar is another term for anti-roll bar :) .... sway bar links are drop links
Yes I always called it an antiroll bar but on searches it seems now this is the commom term.

solidamber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 2009 350d
IMG_20191028_095122.jpg IMG_20191028_134152.jpg OK I thought I would update you on how I got on, I checked the drop links which where OK, my suspicion was either shocks or top mounts, so I ordered a pair of each, the mounts where oem but took a risk on some budget shocks by GH at £98 a pair delivered, I was very impressed with the build quality and surprised they where adjustable! I found taking off the drop link at the bottom gave loads of movement to get the shock out easily, the NS was easy, of course you need a spring compressor. The OS was hard as the top nut was seized and I had to grind it off. I adjusted the shocks about 1cm higher than stock as my front springs had sagged a little, I no longer hit speed bumpsand yes it cured the noise.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom