1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W211 Fuel consumption inaccurate dash reading

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by 92472, Nov 19, 2012.

1. 92472

92472 New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi W211 auto saloon
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and found it informative but not managed to find any info on this issue:
    2003 W211 E220 Cdi auto saloon. I've only had this car a couple of weeks. The fuel consumption read out on the dash is much poorer than the car actually achieves. (I'm familiar with how to re-set both short and long term readings). Over a 100+ mile test of purely local runs the dash showed 25.9 MPG, yet the tank was brimmed before and after and calculating from the pump reading to re-fill the tank it did 32 MPG. Then over a motorway return journey of 384 miles the read out was 33 MPG but brim to brim was 42 MPG. When the read out is converted to Ltrs/100km, then converted back on a calculator it's just the same, ie the car is not reading for US gallons!
    The car has correct size wheels tyres and the speedo is reasonably accurate checked against a satnav. Has anyone had the same and although it's not critical, is there a cure?

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    I think there is a correction factor that can be applied via STAR (the MB diagnostic system)

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    I would just be happy that it is doing more than it says, when it is empty you have to fill up anyway :D

4. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    id be pretty gutted with those figures on a 220 cdi. mine is always 40+ on the dash! and although i cant be bothered (or afford to brim it) to check it properly, it seems to be fairly accurate. dad went from his house to Aldershot and back, a bit of running about, up to carlisle and back, and then to Kendal to refill, which id guess to be around 800 miles in total , on 1 tankful. aparrently the display was reading over 70mpg at one point! :shock::shock:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. Troon

Troon Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    A big one
    Graph below shows my measurements over 13k miles, showing a discrepancy of a couple of mpg or about 5%.

Attached Files:

• fe.jpg
      fe.jpg
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Where you live and how you drive, I have 3 uphill miles to do on a cold engine every time I leave home. Some cars are only used in towns, and busy ones at that. No 2 people drive the same, so many factors, if the car was using far too much fuel the the exhaust would be black and smoky.

Any way this was not the question that was asked ;):D