1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W211 rear airbag/spring purchase help.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by jamesr181, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

1. jamesr181

jamesr181 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E-Class/2004/E320
    Hi guys, I'm needing to replace the drivers side rear airbag and I'm having trouble trying to figure out which one. Now I am trying to do it as cheap as poss but also safely.
    The options I've seen are
    1 Chinese specials, are they any good? £300 for a pair 2 year guarantee
    2 Merc OEM, too expensive
    3 Aerosus £265 for 1 or £477 for a pair 2 year guarantee. No mention of pairs necessary.
    4 Arnott £500 for a pair 2 year guarantee, have to be replaced in pairs according to website
    5 Second hand £100ish

Another issue is that aerosus appear to say that my car has got ADS as I have got the c/s button. Arnott do not list this option for the self levelling cars. It's a E320 cdi avantgarde with 486 sports option.
    Hoping that someone can understand my post

2. Rob76

Rob76 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S211 E280 CDI Sport
  3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I thought all W211 with air springs were self levelling?

4. OP
    jamesr181

jamesr181 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E-Class/2004/E320
    When I say self levelling I mean no airmatic. On the aerosus website it says there's a difference if you have the c's button by the gearstick. Arnott have no mention of this. Arnott also say must replace in pairs whereas aerosus do not mention this.
    This is my reason for being confused.

5. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    If it's any help the rear air springs/bags at the back of a R Class were the same whether the car had Airmatic or not.
    And though I eventually had both my R Class's rear springs/bags changed, they weren't replaced at the same time. As far as I know, Arnott springs were used.

6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Aerosus list an ADS version of the bags.
    In terms of pairs or not whilst you don't need to replace in pairs if one has failed (usually from old age) the other won't be far behind.

Oldspanners likes this.
  7. OP
    jamesr181

jamesr181 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E-Class/2004/E320
    That's what I'm trying to find out, does my car have ADS? Aerosus say if you have the c/s (which I have) button then you do, however I cannot find anyone else who agrees. So if I buy Aerosus (which is likely) then do I buy ADS or not?
    The reason I want Aerosus is I can buy direct rather than an ebay supplier.

8. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    The C/S button switches the gearbox between "Comfort" and "Sport" nothing to do with suspension as far as I know

9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    As Bobcat suggests, something is being lost in translation. C/S is the gearbox comfort & standard (?) ... if you have Airmatic you'll be able to alter the ride settings form soft, normal and 'sport' settings. There'll be air springs/bags at the front too.

10. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Aerosus should be able to supply the correct part from the Vin#

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM
  11. OP
    jamesr181

jamesr181 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E-Class/2004/E320
    That's exactly what I thought. It's on the aerosus website that states the c/s button alters things. Not me.

12. steveq

steveq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; 2011 Merc W204 C220 CDI; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
    Hi,

I had a quick look at the Aerosus website.
    This is what they say:-
    The offered Aerosus air spring is designed for vehicles with level control, but with ADS. Before buying online, check if your E-Class has ADS (Adaptive Damping System). You can determine this as follows: If you have a selector switch for the Comfort and Sport modes of the air suspension in the cockpit of your vehicle, then the ADS system is present. Another distinguishing feature is the PINs of the electrical connection. ADS vehicles have three PINs on the connection, while vehicles without ADS have two PINs.

It is slightly awkwardly worded -- automatic S211s have the C/S switch that controls the gearbox operation (in S it starts off in first gear and changes gear at higher revs). The switch is beside the gear selector.
    As far as I know, E Class estates with Adaptive Damping will have a switch on the dashboard with a little picture of a damper with Sport or Comfort on it.

All E Class estates have rear self-leveling suspension as standard.

Blobcat likes this.