W211 Worried off gearbox failure/coolant

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
sorry to drag this post on a bit but I was wondering.......is the purpose of the ATF radiator being incorporated into the water radiator, to heat up the gearbox to the same temp as the engine faster, in addition to the cooling of the ATF?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They must work hand in hand as the are so close. and probably the correct answer

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
That would explain why it took ages for my ATF to reach 80 degrees to enable me to dip my transmission oil and that was with the car stationary.

Driving under load for about an hour, could not get ATF temp. to go above 70 degrees, I suspect due to the air flow cooling the rad and sump.

Checked with the infrared thermo and a traditional prod, the readings were the same at various points on the sump, casing and pipework.

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Sorry to bring this up again, I never did find out that if unlucky to experience this type of problem is there any warnings before it happens, would there be a leak anywhere under the car or around the rad itself ?? I do plan on having the gearbox oil/filter changed soon as I believe its never been done and if I was to change the rad which manufacturer is best to use and are we talking about changing the main rad or the smaller one that sits in front ??
My mechanic neighbour has seen more and more Mercs turning up lately with this problem, too be fair most have been diesels and mainly 3.2's though I do believe it doesn't make any difference on the size of engine you have ?? There all the same age as mine too 2003 !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry to bring this up again, I never did find out that if unlucky to experience this type of problem is there any warnings before it happens, would there be a leak anywhere under the car or around the rad itself ?? I do plan on having the gearbox oil/filter changed soon as I believe its never been done and if I was to change the rad which manufacturer is best to use and are we talking about changing the main rad or the smaller one that sits in front ??
My mechanic neighbour has seen more and more Mercs turning up lately with this problem, too be fair most have been diesels and mainly 3.2's though I do believe it doesn't make any difference on the size of engine you have ?? There all the same age as mine too 2003 !!

The symptoms are when leaking. A humming or droning when pulling lightly in top at engine RPM of between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
The weird thing is and I'm probably getting paranoid now but the gear changes recently are becoming more aggressive, you know your changing gears if that makes sense, mainly in S mode, pulls hard like a train and no loss of power or anything like that, might get my local indie to have a look, as far as I can tell the gearbox fluid/filters have never been changed, read a number of times on here that's generally a good thing to do ??

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
as far as I can tell the gearbox fluid/filters have never been changed, read a number of times on here that's generally a good thing to do ??

Could be the best £150 you spend on the car. Plenty of members have noticed a positive difference to the smoothness of the 'box after a fluid/filter change.

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Brill thanks, has been on my mind to do for ages so best get it in and have them check for the dreaded glycol just in case:neutral:

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Morning chaps, just a quick up date, my Indie friend carried out a gearbox fluid/filter change last week and flush (15 litres !!) and I can happily say what a difference this has made, much much smoother and seems more responsive if that's possible, he did mention how thick and black the oil was so did need doing, now a nice cherry red colour.
At the same time he carried out a glycol test and pleased to say no sign - he did say might be a good idea to replace with a newer rad, very happy though and thanks to all for their comments, do appreciate this - thank you :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom