W212 Comand screen shuts down

Sander1337

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 CDI Aut5 AMG
Hi All!

Have been enjoying my W212 to the fullest recently with the exception of one thing: sometimes the comand screen seems to shut down, sometimes just randomly, sometimes after pressing a particular button:
-When trying to change the bass of the audio settings the screen always shuts down the moment I select the setting with my Comand-wheel in the center dash
-Sometimes shuts down after a long drive (but the navigation keeps going and after pressing the navi button on the dash it just shows again)
-Sometime ago continiuosly shutted the screen off when changing the temperature settings, but it stopped doing that now
-Have also been having a slight red-noise on the screen in the navi or menu modes, but weirdly not in the screen-bars up and down containing the settings/parameters

Given that the whole interface behind it keeps runing (radio keeps working, navi keeps running with its settings and keeps giving me instructions, etc), it felt to me as if the screen was broken. However, it appears the screen is technically still fine as the reversing camera does not have the above mentioned problems but am of course not entirely sure.

I have been doing quite a bit of research but nobody really was able to provide me with an answer as to what might cause this.

You guys have any idea? If it helps I can share a video of my problem!~

Thanks!

OP
S

Sander1337

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 CDI Aut5 AMG
Lol pulled the fuse 11 for a couple of seconds, put it back aaaaand:

problem solved.

Thanks for the help :p

OP
S

Sander1337

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 CDI Aut5 AMG
Would like to reopen this topic as I just found out it only fixed the issue that the screen turned off frequently or when i selected some buttons.

The red noise on the screen of which I can't find anything on the internet is still there. I have recorded a video of it, see below.

Please not that it appears the red-noise becomes less when i turn off the contact. It so happens the issue was already there when I recently changed the battery so I wouldn't suspect it is that.

It also appears that it is only on the black patches of screen, as if the screen can't render black anymore, the weird thing is that the reversing camera doesn't do this, also not on black cars...

Also I dont have the MB logo at startup, my screen stays blank untill I press a button.

Any guesses anyone?

Last edited:
OP
S

Sander1337

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 CDI Aut5 AMG
Would like to reopen this topic as I just found out it only fixed the issue that the screen turned off frequently or when i selected some buttons.

The red noise on the screen of which I can't find anything on the internet is still there. I have recorded a video of it, see below.

Please not that it appears the red-noise becomes less when i turn off the contact. It so happens the issue was already there when I recently changed the battery so I wouldn't suspect it is that.

It also appears that it is only on the black patches of screen, as if the screen can't render black anymore, the weird thing is that the reversing camera doesn't do this, also not on black cars...

Also I dont have the MB logo at startup, my screen stays blank untill I press a button.

Any guesses anyone?

Nobody? :(

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Looks like some form of software loop and then shutting its self down, at a guess a firmware update will help but I think a bit of time with someone that understands Comand may be needed

OP
S

Sander1337

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 CDI Aut5 AMG
Think I fixed it by taking out the stupid mirrorcast devices from the screen etc etc, the moment I removed it I immediately got the MB logo back, the screen worked without any issues and the device didnt reboot anymore when i pressed specific buttons.

Man man man man... happy I got this sorted.

Top Bottom