W212 rear LED lights not working all the time.

mk999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi SE 2013 Facelift.
2013 E class 220 CDI facelift.
Thanks in advance if you can help.
A while ago my offside rear outer light started working only intermittantly. Now the nearside one has developed the same fault. A tap or thump on the lights makes them come on again -for a while. There is an obvious bad connection or sommat inside the light assembly.
As these are aparrently sealed units my stealer will say 2 replacements are necessary. I believe its about £250 a corner plus fitting -as much again at MB according to my indie who is not willing to attempt a repair.
My question is does anyone on here know anybody who repairs these in the North UK preferably.
Im guessing its a bad connection or dry joint on a circuit board inside the lamp cluster
This semes to be fairly common on eclass saloons of 2013 -2014 vintage. I have seen several recently with one light out I saw one tonight on the M6 with only boot tail lights working.
Incidentally there is no dash warning that one or both lights is not working - surely a major safety concern.
regards
Michael K.

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Hi Michael,

I'm having the same (common) issue with my 2013 E250 facelift. The rear (driver's side) outer LED tail lamp worked intermittently on Tuesday but was fine all of yesterday! I have a feeling there's a loose connection and it will only get worse...

As you said, these are sealed units so I'm not sure a repair is even possible which is quite frustrating given the units cost around £200 each!

What did you end up doing with yours? I'm torn between:
a) leave it be until it stops working completely
b) replacing the one unit
c) replacing both units and be done with it!

Thanks,

Cheapshots

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
As you say a common issue and not repairable, it’s so frustrating. We have changed loads.

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Can't help but feel cheated on this - £200 for what is essentially a bulb :(

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
The fault I had with mine was the 3rd brake light that kept going out. It first happened when I shut the boot then came back on and off now and then. Eventually it just went off. The sort the problem I had to strip the right rear inside panel to get to the bunch of wires as these run through the plastic casing on the right boot hinge. Eventually I followed the wires and 3 ft into the car around the area of where the rear seats are located. The bunch has around 30 wires and I finally found the split wire soldered it, taped it and heat sealed it. I was shocked to find that out of all them wires that only 1 could split.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I don't believe they are not repairable, but it may be tricky and involve sliding the unit abd re-flying after. It you have already decided a unit is effectively scrap, the worst that can happen is you are no worse off. However, as described above, be careful to check it is not wiring issues before the lamp unit otherwise you may be wasting money anyway.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I don't believe they are not repairable, but it may be tricky and involve sliding the unit abd re-flying after. It you have already decided a unit is effectively scrap, the worst that can happen is you are no worse off. However, as described above, be careful to check it is not wiring issues before the lamp unit otherwise you may be wasting money anyway.
I agree always worth the time spent trying to repair especially if the new unit has the same problem and a few years later will fail anyway.
I repaired a electric servo motor for the heating controls simply by turning a gear wheel around and adding some grease, something that was supposed to be sealed and have "no serviceable parts".

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain

Don't know what was going on with auto-correct there. It should have read "it may involve slicing the unit and re-gluing after." Lol

Fordy

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class W212 2013
Any updates on this problem please?
my offside rear light has the same issue, although indicator and brake light work?

Top Bottom