W213 - Changing displayed speed to MPH and getting it to stick!

Rez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S213 e220d Premium Plus
Hello all,

Recently back in the MB fold with a 2017 S213 e220d Premium Plus. great car, a few niggles hae been sorted, one remains and this is where I'm looking to the hive mind for some wisdom as I can't work it out! :confused:

The Speed in the digital dsiplay in the instrument cluster keeps defaulting to Kph. Every morning I get in, start the car, select my profile (or any profile for that matter) and the car is by default in Kph. every day I go into the settings, change to Mph and off we go.

If I stop it will sometimes stay in Mph, other times it changes back to Kph. Without fail however, every morning I come to a Kph display.

I'd like to be able to set it to Mph and for this change to stick. I can't workout how to save the setting. every other setting change saves itself to memory but not the units. I've re-done my profile numerous times, each time with the car first in Mph and no effect.

Any guidance is appreciated!
Rez

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Under EU regs, the car must display both kph and mph.
I don't think you can change this unless it's possible using Star diagnostics at an indy.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We have seen this on a couple of cars, but not looked into it too deeply. It would defiantly annoy me. I will try and find a solution in new year.

Nuno

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E350D Saloon AMG Line
Easily done by Star/xentry, Vediamo or DTS Monaco.
If you pop into East London, I can do it for you, payment would be a double expresso.

OP
R

Rez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S213 e220d Premium Plus
mph.jpg
Thanks all! To be clear it is the central Speed display I am wanting to set to MPH and for it to stay permanently. Really odd that we can't set it permanently without resorting to a STAR hookup.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the law says UK cars must have the ability to display speed units in both MPH and KPH

if the main cluster is set to MPH then the small digital display default is set up to always swap to the opposite, in this case KPH - so it seems its doing exactly what its supposed to do.

in fact as the law never said the proper speedo must show the units on a grown up dial - rather than having both round the edge of the dial, or toggling the main display, many manu now just have KPH on a nasty digital display - the Mini does this naff method

in fact if your left dial is not a screen and its printed out as a MPH unit - if you can't toggle it back to KPH it will be a right nuisance if you drive in the rest of Europe and indeed illegal

£100 quid fine no points I believe

35. — Speedometers
(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.
(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—
(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;
(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;
(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;
(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;
(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;
(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or
(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.
(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
the law says UK cars must have the ability to display speed units in both MPH and KPH

if the main cluster is set to MPH then the small digital display default is set up to always swap to the opposite, in this case KPH - so it seems its doing exactly what its supposed to do.

in fact as the law never said the proper speedo must show the units on a grown up dial - rather than having both round the edge of the dial, or toggling the main display, many manu now just have KPH on a nasty digital display - the Mini does this naff method

in fact if your left dial is not a screen and its printed out as a MPH unit - if you can't toggle it back to KPH it will be a right nuisance if you drive in the rest of Europe and indeed illegal

£100 quid fine no points I believe

35. — Speedometers
(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.
(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—
(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;
(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;
(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;
(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;
(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;
(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or
(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.
(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.
KPH is permanently displayed in the bottom left corner of the central display. It’s reading 0km/h in the picture. The bit he has circled should stay at mph, or kph, whatever it has been set to. For it to keep returning to kph when restarting suggests to me a software glitch, possibly the country setting within the cluster software.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
KPH is permanently displayed in the bottom left corner of the central display. It’s reading 0km/h in the picture. The bit he has circled should stay at mph, or kph, whatever it has been set to. For it to keep returning to kph when restarting suggests to me a software glitch, possibly the country setting within the cluster software.
Agreed - although I would never disagree with @Uncle Benz . There is definitely a problem - I use the central mph display and it always stays as mph except on the rare occasions I change it manually (Katie prefers kph if driving my car in France).

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
good spot - so its the optional other info section, and would normally be the same as the needle - on a BMW they used to have two hidden speedo features you can enable - digital version the main cluster and Sat Nav speed - so an accurate speedo - but if you had only this, it was offensive as was always different to the needle by 2 or so mph

Kami88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2018
We have seen this on a couple of cars, but not looked into it too deeply. It would defiantly annoy me. I will try and find a solution in new year.
Did you find out the solution sir

Kami88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2018
If you pop into East London, I can do it for you, payment would be a double expresso.
What’s you contact details

Omer123

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
What are your contact details

Top Bottom